For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Does anyone know a Sam that fits this description?

Original Post
Cameron Casey · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 26

Hey everyone! Please forgive me if this post has no place here. Im trying to see if anyone else has ran into this guy. Here's a brief backstory:

My buddy and I woke at 3am at la posada on 12/31/15 to bring in the new year on timewave in portrero. The conditions that day were not inspiring. There was a super dense fog in the canyon that morning and it was precipitating lightly. Given the conditions, I was less than inspired to climb that day. Anyway, we go to the kitchen to make some grub and there is this late 20 something dude in a flannel shirt with brown leather patches on the elbows who had been in the kitchen all night cleaning everyone's dirty dishes from the night before. Upon entering this guy's presence the entire energy of the morning changed. This guy was by far the most stoked dude I had ever met and it was so contagious. 

So we go out and do the climb, get back to la posada at like 1am after taking a long time on the route and this dude is still in the kitchen washing everyone's dishes and talking and laughing with everyone. I spoke to him a bit and he told me he had come to portrero alone because he had a few days to kill before heading back home to the high desert near Smith rock. The story ends there.

The reason I'm asking if anyone knows this dude is because I've never met someone like that before. The dude left such a huge impression on me even though I only spoke with him a few times. That being said, does anyone know this guy? I'm really just wanting to confirm if he was real or a straight up angel or some crazy shit like that. 

I mean, the guy never seemed to sleep. He was always so infectiously happy and was constantly helping people out. If anyone knows of this guy please let me know!

James Ellis · · Seattle, Washington · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 65

If this isn't the start of climbing's greatest love story then I don't know what is.

David LeBaron · · Grantsville,UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 577

I can see this ending up on the next Reel Rock 

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 65

Have you tried the EPC Facebook group?

Only, Locals · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160

Found him

SAM

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

Lots of affable characters to come and go in the Potrero. Anyone remember Handsome Greg? I think that was his name. White guy with dreads. The ultimate dirtbag. I last saw him in 2007 at La Posada I think. I heard that he passed away.

Only, Locals · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160
Tim Stich wrote:

Lots of affable characters to come and go in the Potrero. Anyone remember Handsome Greg? I think that was his name. White guy with dreads. The ultimate dirtbag. I last saw him in 2007 at La Posada I think. I heard that he passed away.

Wasn't there some guy in "The Valley" with the name Handsome Something or other, ended up getting busted for murder - sliced some guy up or something?

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470
Addem Bursh wrote:

Wasn't there some guy in "The Valley" with the name Handsome Something or other, ended up getting busted for murder - sliced some guy up or something?

No doubt, but it wasn't this one. Ha ha. He was super chill, smoked weed, and would climb with anyone. They used to call Hans Florine "Handsome Hans." I think they added that moniker to a lot of dudes.

Darren in Vegas · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 2,180
D.A. LeBaron wrote:

I can see this ending up on the next Reel Rock 

OR 

Hahaha the movie poster killed me! 

Ryan Maitland wrote:

Have you tried the EPC Facebook group?

I have not. I deleted the old face book a few months ago. I may bring it back just for this.

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 65
Cameron Casey wrote:

I have not. I deleted the old face book a few months ago. I may bring it back just for this.

May be worth a shot.

Also, La Posada does a fairly large amount of work-for-a-free-stay type employment, so if you're really serious you may give them a call to see if they have a full name or something else that may get you closer.

SeƱor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,150
AndrewArroz wrote:

Or just freaking weird. One of the two...

Michael Richichi · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 518

Hahaha, Portland is home but I am living in Monterrey right now. I was there on NYE too! I dunno the dude, but I have some friends who were/are there. I'll ask around.

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450
Tim Stich wrote:

Handsome Mike

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1511254/RIP-Handsome-Mike-Bohorquez

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Does anyone know a Sam that fits this description?"
in the Pacific Northwest