Mountain Project Logo

Armorican One Armed Bandit


Original Post
Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Warmest greetings on a cold, sunny day from the UK

Here is a wee video about my friend Andrew Walker. Andrew is a gnarly "old school" climber with loads of bonkers tales to tell of a life less ordinary and has done oodles of big, serious routes over decades of climbing. Unfortunately Andrew had a very serious and life changing accident about 10 years ago. However Andrew is not a man to be easily deterred and after 2 years in a wheelchair and a very long rehabilitation he returned to rock climbing and can still climb to a pretty amazing standard with some inspiring ninja skills!

We decided that the 3* VS super-classic Armorican at the delightful and photogenic Craig Caerfai near St Davids in North Pembroke would be an ideal route for Andrew to have a go at. Apart from being the crag classic, we thought Armorican would provide him with a pretty tough but hopefully attainable challenge. And did Andrew manage to climb the route I hear you ask? Well have a look at the following vid featuring his life affirming story with some aerial drone footage and some devilishly dynamic dyno's to find out!


All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share to your Facebook friends and hopefully it will brighten up your tea or lunch break with a brew and biscuit! :-) 

Happy New Year!

Dave

Petroclimbsagain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Way cool...  If Andrew is ever in Lyons, CO, I'd belay him up a  route I put up a few years ago that I called "Look Ma No Hands", It's got a dynamic dyno in the beginning that's all feet, looks improbable, took me a while to work out, and the whole route is a blast.  It's soccer (football) rules for the route.  

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Petroclimbsagain wrote:

Way cool...  If Andrew is ever in Lyons, CO, I'd belay him up a  route I put up a few years ago that I called "Look Ma No Hands", It's got a dynamic dyno in the beginning that's all feet, looks improbable, took me a while to work out, and the whole route is a blast.  It's soccer rules for the route.  

Hey Petro thanks a million for taking the time to post some kind feedback and Andrew displayed some great balance, precise footwork and some ninja skills for someone who has a maximum of 3 points of contact! That route of yours sounds pretty cool and I suspect Mr walker would be the man for the job if he was ever in Lyons... ;-) Happy climbing!

Cheers

Dave 

Petroclimbsagain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0
Bald Eagle wrote:

Hey Petro thanks a million for taking the time to post some kind feedback and Andrew displayed some great balance, precise footwork and some ninja skills for someone who has a maximum of 3 points of contact! That route of yours sounds pretty cool and I suspect Mr walker would be the man for the job if he was ever in Lyons... ;-) Happy climbing!

Cheers

Dave 

To be perfectly honest, I was sucked in by the title, and the post/video was everything I was hoping for and more.  My mind was blown first, because I didn't know what Andrew did was even possible, then after analysis, I saw endless possibilities.   The route I mentioned being only one.  

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Petroclimbsagain wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I was sucked in by the title, and the post/video was everything I was hoping for and more.  My mind was blown first, because I didn't know what Andrew did was even possible, then after analysis, I saw endless possibilities.   The route I mentioned being only one.  

Heya Petro thanks again and I'm delighted that my wee video was everything you were hoping for and a bit more! Before his accident Andrew rock climbed to a pretty high standard and had climbed numerous hard classics in the UK, the Alps, El Cap and beyond. On a purely selfish basis, the really sad thing for me was that Mr Walker cruised Armorican and made it look easier with his 3 points of contact than I did with all my four... ;-)

Cheers

Dave  

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 668

Beautiful!

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Mike Brady wrote:

Beautiful!

Aaaww thank you Mike and muchly appreciated. Happy climbing! :-) Dave

Petroclimbsagain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0
Bald Eagle wrote:

Heya Petro thanks again and I'm delighted that my wee video was everything you were hoping for and a bit more! Before his accident Andrew rock climbed to a pretty high standard and had climbed numerous hard classics in the UK, the Alps, El Cap and beyond. On a purely selfish basis, the really sad thing for me was that Mr Walker cruised Armorican and made it look easier with his 3 points of contact than I did with all my four... ;-)

Cheers

Dave  

Dave, I went back and edited my first-post to link to the route I was talking about, and clear up my colloquial insensitivity.  I hadn't thought about that route in years, but when I saw your video, it made me think of all the untouched possibilities.  There's likely a few people in the world that could benefit from the same realization.  

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 145

Fantastic!! 

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Petroclimbsagain wrote:

Dave, I went back and edited my first-post to link to the route I was talking about, and clear up my colloquial insensitivity.  I hadn't thought about that route in years, but when I saw your video, it made me think of all the untouched possibilities.  There's likely a few people in the world that could benefit from the same realization.  

Nice one Tom and that first ascent of yours sounds very intriguing judging by the description! And I'm glad my vid evoked some memories for you to revisit your route again... :-) Cheers Dave

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
ErikaNW wrote:

Fantastic!! 

Thanks a million Erika and happy climbing! :-) Cheers Dave

NateGfunk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 50

This is rad. Cheers.


Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 581

Great story, and very well done!

Two thoughts: 

First, I would love to see a long version, with his full climb unedited.

Second, well, I was feeling for who ever was climbing beside him....I can easily imagine myself struggling up something and doing that double take, lol!

Third (okay I can't count), what great friends you are. 

Best, Old Lady H

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
NateGfunk wrote:

This is rad. Cheers.


Many thanks Nate and I really appreciate your appreciation! :-) Cheers Dave

Dave Holliday · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 1,402

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:

Great story, and very well done!

Two thoughts: 

First, I would love to see a long version, with his full climb unedited.

Second, well, I was feeling for who ever was climbing beside him....I can easily imagine myself struggling up something and doing that double take, lol!

Third (okay I can't count), what great friends you are. 

Best, Old Lady H

Heya Old Lady H many thanks for taking the time to post your positive thoughts and feedback. Most folks are only interested in watching an edited version of a few minutes duration and I always think it is better to leave the viewer wanting more!  Also the story was all about Andrew and his personal healing so I did not feel it important to show my mate Henry leading Armorican or me seconding the climb! Ironically although I had known Andrew for a few years, Andrew and Henry had never met before the climb but got on as if they had known and climbed together for years and are now good mates!

Happy Climbing! :-)

Dave

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Dave Holliday wrote:

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a million Dave and I really appreciate your appreciation! :-)

Cheers

Dave

Amy Fuller · · NY · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Amazin video and photo! thanks!Did you use retouching? I advise you to check these presets http://fixthephoto.com/free-lightroom-landscape-presets

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Amy Fuller wrote:

Amazin video! thanks!

Hey Amy a maa-hoosive thanks for your positive feedback and glad you enjoyed my wee video! :-) Cheers Dave

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 581
Bald Eagle wrote:

Heya Old Lady H many thanks for taking the time to post your positive thoughts and feedback. Most folks are only interested in watching an edited version of a few minutes duration and I always think it is better to leave the viewer wanting more!  Also the story was all about Andrew and his personal healing so I did not feel it important to show my mate Henry leading Armorican or me seconding the climb! Ironically although I had known Andrew for a few years, Andrew and Henry had never met before the climb but got on as if they had known and climbed together for years and are now good mates!

Happy Climbing! :-)

Dave

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the unedited footage of Margot Hayes posted January 2, in the general climbing thread. All of Andrew sending it, straight through, no cuts. That climb is worthy of it! We never, or rarely, get to see climbs that way, except some shaky GoPro thing no one is interested in.

Best, OLH

Bald Eagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the unedited footage of Margot Hayes posted January 2, in the general climbing thread. All of Andrew sending it, straight through, no cuts. That climb is worthy of it! We never, or rarely, get to see climbs that way, except some shaky GoPro thing no one is interested in.

Best, OLH

Aaah Old lady H that was an amazing + groundbreaking achievement by Margo, though I think the unedited video was just shot by some random? I don't think an unedited video would have worked that well with Andrew's climb as it probably took him around 15 minutes to climb the route, what with having a few long rests to shake his arm out!
Personally I like the creative side of setting up a few cameras and editing a couple of hours worth of footage down to a few minutes and I think the majority of today's audience like their climbing videos to be short and sweet or they will turn off after a minute or 2 if not sufficiently captivated! Anyway I really appreciate your constructive feedback and wish you a very happy Monday! :-) Cheers Dave 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Armorican One Armed Bandit"
in the Climbing Photos & Videos

Log In to Reply