Mountain Project Logo

Is there a way to sort the order of routes that were added by someone else?

Original Post
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 745

When adding a new route to the database, one of the steps is to put the route in order, relative to other routes already in the area. When doing that, sometimes I see that there are unsorted routes that were added by someone else. I thought I could just move an unsorted route to the sorted list, if I knew the order, but found that I can only move the route that I am adding, but not the routes that have been previously added, but left unsorted.

Is there any harm in letting people move the routes from unsorted pile to sorted? Is this something that only the area moderators are allowed to do?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,441

Only the owner / admin can do that.  If you could add a Page Improvement and indicate the correct order, we'll take care of it.  Thanks!

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 745
Nick Wilder wrote:

Only the owner / admin can do that.  If you could add a Page Improvement and indicate the correct order, we'll take care of it.  Thanks!

Got it, thanks. Maybe I'll get around to it sometime. It is definitely a lot more work to submit it that way.

I was thinking of places like this, for example:
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106631793/raco-de-les-espadelles

The unsorted routes in this case cover several pages of guidebook topos, and I don't know the order of all of them off the top of my head, so I would have to look it up, take pictures of the topos, or type it up, and submit a page improvement. Fair bit of work. But a couple of routes that I had climbed that are in the unsorted pile I could have easily dragged into correct order, if I had the ability... But I understand the reasoning.

Lewis L · · Asheville, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 342

Do a Page Improvement for the individual route or the overall area? This has been bugging me for a while, particularly at Looking Glass (NC). Almost all the routes are unsorted. 

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,999

I'd send an ordered list of the routes to the area admin either directly or as an improvement under the area page. Using the "improvement" option  gets it to both the original page submitor and the area admins and there is a reminder notice to them so there is less chance it will be overlooked. With cut and past it shouldn't take too much effort, at least on a pc.

Letting anybody sort without control  could get things all screwed up, also, a note might be needed in the description explaining how a non linear situation (like a canyon, tiers or circular boulder for instance) is is being organised.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Is there a way to sort the order of routes that…"