Mountain Project Logo

Tonsai/Railay/Koh Phi Phi Partner Needed

Original Post
Meg White · · Hamilton, NJ · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 35

I’ll be headed to Krabi on the 15th, arriving on the 17th; headed back to the states on the 5th. My climbing partner and her bf will meet up for part of it, but I’m mostly riding solo for the majority of the trip. 

Planning to spend the first 2 weeks on the peninsula (Tonsai Beach and Railay), then the last week in Koh Phi Phi—gonna hit up the original Tonsai and other classic climbs. I have a hotel booked in Railay for the first night to get a good night of sleep, but planning to head over to Tonsai Beach to get a super cheap, rustic bungalow. 

I’m cozy leading 5.10a-d outdoors; can follow 5.11s. I’ve done one multipitch trip in Potrero last March; would need a refresher from an experienced multipitch climber. 

Come climb with me! I can offer you a nice, soft catch, laughs, and a good time overall. Let's split a bungalow--it'll make our trip even cheaper. Your first beer is on me. 

Todd Powell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hi,

Just double checking you’re referring to January dates? 

I’m there in February and thought I’d just confirm. Thanks!

Hey Todd! Yep—I’ll be there Jan 15 - Feb 5. 

Sabrina Kieser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Todd Powell wrote:

Hi,

Just double checking you’re referring to January dates? 

I’m there in February and thought I’d just confirm. Thanks!

I'll be there in February from the 17-24.  I'm staying inland at the Climbing Camp and then in Ao Nang, but I plan on making day trips out to Railay/Tonsai.   skieser12@gmail.com

Garrett Hoppe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Meg!  I'll be in Tonsai/Railay/Phi Phi from January 28 through Feb 5 or 10th ish to do some climbing.  I climb the same grades, belay with a gri gri (or ATC) and am comfortable giving a multi pitch refresher.  Wanna climb?  I'll be solo

Jeremy Lubkin · · Worldwide Wanderer · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 5

I'll be on Phi Phi Feb 7-14, Railey 14-21 and Chiang Mai somehere around Feb 28-> March 24.  Lead ~12a.  Will have draws and rope. Travelling with my non-climber wife.

johnicat · · OR · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1

Hey Jeremy (and other potential rope guns!) - I'll be in Tonsai/Railay/PhiPhi Feb 14- Mar 8, likely in Railay same time as you. Glad to hook up for any verticality challenging times! Going solo, glad to split a bungalow, buy you a beer

Johnicat - sounds good. I'm with my non-dirtbag wife so we got a hotel room, but I'm down to climb.

Hey guys! I’m in Ao Nang tonight, but I’ll be back in Tonsai tomorrow if anyone wants to split a room and/or climb. 

Emily Brumbaugh · · Sebastopol CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Meg, hope you are having an amazing time. I wish I could climb with you but I'll be in Tonsai from Feb 15-March 1.  Anyone else on this thread can contact me at ecbrumbaugh@yahoo.com

Just got to Phi Phi...looking for partners. 

Might cancel Railay based on the Denguy outbreak news. 

Bnice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Jeremy Lubkin wrote:

Just got to Phi Phi...looking for partners. 

Might cancel Railay based on the Denguy outbreak news. 

Is it getting bad there?

There is a thread on ‘Traveling Rock Climbers’ forum on FB about dengue. Apparently its worse than the past several decades. While no CDC Outbreak has been declared or anything its def being talked about as pretty bad. SE Asia had a pretty wet spell. My wife pre-booked our hotel. Honestly if we can cancel it i likely will and just head up to Chiang Mai. 

Garrett Hoppe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Yeah... It has gotten bad in Tonsai.  I ended up bailing after day 7 of 14 last week because there were 20 confirmed cases of Dengue from the local clinic in Tonsai that week alone (population of 100/200 = not good odds).   Furthermore almost everybody I met, including myself, got seriously sick...  multiple times.   Tonsai tummy, neurovirus, dengue, really added up to a pretty gnarly trifecta of plauge circling tonsai.

That all being said, the climbing is world class.  Amazing stuff.  Pro tip - stay in Ao Nang and take the 100 baht long tail boats to and from tonsai to climb.  Less Dengue and other sickness in Au Nang.  They have less mosquitoes and actually have power over there during the daytime to keep food refrigerated (Tonsai restaurants do not). Tonsai has some serious clean up work to do before I would consider staying again.

Bnice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the info guys!

johnicat · · OR · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1

Hey all- I'm heading to Phi Phi first, be there on 14th for week or so, then Railay. Anyone who wants to get on some routes, love multipitch but I'll do anything, shoot me an email johnicat@hotmail or post here

Brian Huang · · Corona, CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 10

Hi, just jumping into this thread. I’m here in Railay now until 2/15. I’m looking for partners for 2/14 and maybe 2/15 morning. I’ve been climbing 3 years, but looking to do some easy 5.8-5.10 routes. It’s my first time here. If you want to climb some easy stuff (but also experienced in safety), send me a message.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Tonsai/Railay/Koh Phi Phi Partner Needed"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started