Mountain Project Logo

Seeking Trad Mentor in NC

Original Post
John Bosco · · Raleigh, NC · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Hi MP Southeast, been seeing a lot of NC activity the last few weeks, so thought no better time like the present to post. I'm a climber based in Raleigh, NC, looking for an experienced trad mentor as well as long-term trad climbing partner(s!). I am looking to soak up as much knowledge about anchors, gear placement, and self-rescue, with the goal of leading classic NC moderates, like the Great Arch. Not too interested in grade chasing as a rule of thumb, I just enjoy climbing outdoors and know that because I want to get out on some awesome NC lines, trad is something I need to get competent at. Most importantly, I'm hoping to find some like-minded folks who would be open to weekend and extended climbing trips as longer-term partners (I'm an early 30s 9-to-5er).

I've been climbing for a few years, and cut my teeth out in Red Rock Canyon while living there, mostly leading sport routes and bouldering. I have followed and cleaned multi-pitch trad (a handful of outings), in RR and JTree, but I wouldn't say I've got a lot of experience, other than that I'm comfortable cleaning, and want to spend some time climbing with a seasoned trad climber with these new goals of mine in mind. I recently membered up with CCC, joined TRC and am staying in shape TRing and bouldering 2/3 times a week at the North Raleigh location, but would love to start getting out, meeting up, and open to climbing with groups, etc.

I have a reliable car, don't mind driving, don't mind paying for beer, love belaying, and happy to clean routes and listen and learn from those with more experience. Reach out here or DM if interested, and thanks for reading!

John

Patrick Manss · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 15

Hey John, in the same boat more or less here. I am also looking for some more experienced trad partners, but if you ever want someone to meet up with let me know. I am looking for people to go out to Pilot with more regularly, and climb some other NC classics. Working on getting into trad, so definitely open to practicing on some short/tame routes. I also climb at TRC, bounce between NR and Morrisville, let me know if you want to meet up and climb or head West for a day. Mostly available mid week with the occasional weekend. 

John Bosco · · Raleigh, NC · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Hey Patrick, thanks for reaching out, gonna PM you,I'm always looking for folks to climb with.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Seeking Trad Mentor in NC"
in the South Eastern States Partners