Mountain Project Logo

Outdoor Top Rope Class in Illinois

Original Post
Lexi Labonte · · Decatur, Il · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

There's this class for beginners who are trying to learn how to start climbing outside that I've been looking to take, but from the information I can find on it, it seems like the people who teach it really want at least four people in the class. Unfortunately for me, no one else in my family climbs and neither do my friends, but maybe if someone who lives in Illinois would be interested in going too... Anyway I've heard really good things about the program and I haven't decided on a date yet, but here's the website for the school where you can get more information. http://www.verticalheartland.com/#x=1364

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

You could contact them and let them know you are interested. There may be others interested that have contacted them, but can't get a group of four together.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334

Do you know where they hold their classes? Based on the location of the "school", I assume they head to Jackson Falls or Ferne Clyffe. Are those the areas you're interested in climbing?

If this option doesn't pan out, there are multiple options to take classes at Devil's Lake in WI. It's about another 1.5 hours further for you, coming from Decatur, but there are some great options for learning, and some spectacular climbing. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and took the anchor-building class offered by Vertical Endeavors climbing gym. It was an excellent intro to outdoor climbing, and they generally have plenty of interest to run a number of clinics once the weather gets warm. There are also a few guide services local the Devil's Lake area, but I've never worked with any of them.

Lexi Labonte · · Decatur, Il · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Yea the school is at Draper's Bluff- Vertical Heartland and South Il is where I've been interested in climbing and bouldering. I'll definitely look into that place in Wisconsin and Chicago too. Thanks for all the helpful information! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Outdoor Top Rope Class in Illinois"
in the Beginning Climbers