Mountain Project Logo

Ice Climbing in Western SD, Eastern WY

Original Post
Norm Rasmussen · · North Jersey · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 868

I have started a new job that has me traveling to the midwest fairly often with a couple trips a year to the Rapid City, SD area. I'll be out there either this or next month and other than Spearfish, is there any good ice climbing to be had? I've been perusing through Google searches, but most are tourist or guide ads with no real beta on the area. Reaching out here to probe further - is there even more beta? Or is Spearfish all there is? 

I don't mean for that to sound whiny, I just can't seem to find more in Spearfish than Bridal Veil Falls. Surely there are more frozen waterfalls? 

Thanks in advance! 

Burt Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 3,280

Not a whole lot of options in the Black Hills for ice climbing.  BUT!  Only a moderate drive to Big Horns and Cody a ways further!

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 6

Valentine Nebraska ice climbing.

Or go rock climbing instead. 

Thanks! 

Keith Noback · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 430

Used to be a decent crop at the mouth of Spearfish canyon. Don't know if the BH State lads have carried on the tradition. Back of Harney has some mini-alpine, too.

Travis Bieber · · Spearfish, SD · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 45

The canyon has a few mellow ice destination. Community cave, Bridal Vails, and 11th hour. Aside from Community cave, they both have a few climbs and very short approaches with in the realm of 30-60 seconds. Definitely no Wyoming ice but it's something in the area.

Levi Clemen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

In addition to what has been posted; Honey Bear at Sylvan Lake, the backside of Black Elk Peak, and the NE side of Crow Peak on good years.

Thanks, everyone! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Ice Climbing in Western SD, Eastern WY"
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas