Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Metolius Oring Replacement

Original Post
Austin Goff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 80

Anybody repaired the Metolius TCU O-rings on their own? My slings are in good shape so I would like to fix the rings myself rather than sending them in. Thought I would check on MP before doing some trial and error on getting the right size. 

spellstrike wrote:

What product are you even talking about.

TCUs. 

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

You cannot replace those spacers

You can. Metolius does it all the time. They just replace the flawed rubber with metal. Looking for someone who has done it on their own to take the guess work and trial and error out. 

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
Austin Goff wrote:

Anybody repaired the Metolius TCU O-rings on their own? My slings are in good shape so I would like to fix the rings myself rather than sending them in. Thought I would check on MP before doing some trial and error on getting the right size. 

Are these the o-rings on the outer ends of the axle that sort of squish out. I believe Metolius fixes that for free or replaces the cam all together. 

They are. They fix it for free when you send it in for a sling or wire repair but i dont need either. Trying to save the shipping expense etc. 

Eric Fjellanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 845

Are those important? Do they keep dirt out? Mine have failed and I've just kept using the cams...

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Austin Goff wrote:

They are. They fix it for free when you send it in for a sling or wire repair but i dont need either. Trying to save the shipping expense etc. 

Seems to me that if you mess with the cam assembly itself, you'll likely void any warranty and Metolius may not work on your cams in the future (unless you manage a factory finish). 

Metolius has the cheapest and best cam service in the industry- just send them back and support a great company. 

When they fail there is play in the cam lobes that causes the lobes to slide back and forth. If they slide apart the cam stops become useless. Not worth the risk imo. 

Appreciate all the responses but sounds like nobody has experience and i'll be going with the good old T/E method. 

Not worried about the warranty. Metolius has recognized the flaw and switched to replacing rubber orings with metal. Its a 2 second fix that isnt worth their time or shipping the cams back and forth.  

strudell Trudell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

"Appreciate all the responses but sounds like nobody has experience and i'll be going with the good old T/E method."

Did you get this sorted? My 00 is also missing an oring. Someone in a previous thread mentioned bending and cutting a stainless steel bike spoke? What did you use?

S

I used retaining rings. I had to use 2 per side. I dont remember the shaft size off the top of my head but the 0 i did it on is a different diameter shaft than the 00, i believe. Same goes for the bigger sizes. Its pretty tedious to get them clamped on there right. Its only worth it if your slings are in really good condition. If not, much less work to just send it in to have the slings done. If you do, make sure you cut the rubber ones off or they might not replace. 

Incredible idea! Perfect. Thanks guys.

Also, side note, I did contact Metolius about this and they were absolutely incredible. They gave good enough customer service that I'd choose their gear over a competitor in comparison that was apples to apples.

S

You've sparked my curiosity. What was there response?

Another +1 for Metolius having great customer service. I sent 7 cams for resling. They had them done and back in the mail in less than 5 days. Shipping was only $10 and $3 per cam.  My cams came back so polished they looked literally brand new. It’s just so inexpensive. 

I live in Canada. Emailed them last night and asked if there was a recommended way for me to fix my 0 and 00 myself, or else how I would go about having them repair them. They responded this morning, offered to send me two new cams since mine weren't looking too hot. I got a notice of shipping within an hour after that! Amazing!

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 489
strudell Trudell wrote:

I live in Canada. Emailed them last night and asked if there was a recommended way for me to fix my 0 and 00 myself, or else how I would go about having them repair them. They responded this morning, offered to send me two new cams since mine weren't looking too hot. I got a notice of shipping within an hour after that! Amazing!

That's pretty fucking awesome. I think it's settled, metolius has the best customer service of any climbing company

eli poss wrote:

That's pretty fucking awesome. I think it's settled, metolius has the best customer service of any climbing company

Agreed

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Metolius Oring Replacement"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion