Mountain Project Logo

Hauling weight ratio

Original Post
Adam Bjeldanes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey, I was wondering what the ratio is between the hauler’s weight and the weight of the haul bag for space hauling and body hauling is. 

Thanks!

Sam England · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 410

I'm not as experienced as some on here but I'm going with "It depends."

You have to consider factors like hauling angle, drag, rope going over and edge, etc.  In my experience, when you're up there, you just do whatever type of hauling fits your scenario best.

Also, who really knows what their haulbag weight is exactly anyway.  It's continually changing as you eat and drink (or drop things).  Body weight changes too as you may have more rack on at certain times (or you get super dehydrated).  Just go out and try it with various weight bags; you'll get the feel for when it works and when it won't.

Ryan7crew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 485

And don't forget when the haul bag gets stuck, you put your feet against the wall right below the anchor and push, and pull up on the haul line with your hands.  Now you got body weight and force.

Blake Wold · · Burlington, Wa · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25

Invalid question, although most space hauling scenarios will be a 1:1 haul. You could in theory space haul with 2:1, 3:1, 5:1, etc. point being is that your hauling ratio has nothing to do with space hauling. It is dependent on your pulley setup, not the weights of the climber(s) or bag(s). Your bag could weigh 1,000,000lbs or 20lbs, a 1:1 space haul is still 1:1 regardless of weights. 

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

I don’t understand what you’re asking. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Hauling weight ratio"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started