Mountain Project Logo

No soloing in Nepal

Original Post
Ken Duncan · · Ft Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2004 · Points: 3,589
Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

“Under the new regulations, foreign climbers will have to be accompanied by a guide. The authorities hope this new rule will create more job opportunities for Nepali mountain guides.”

Kind of ridiculous when the significant majority of climbers are already hiring guides. When countries do this all it ends up resulting in is losing the high end alpinists. 

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 138

I get the feeling that this is fallout from the conflict between Ueli Steck's team and the Sherpas which happened a while back. The conflict caused tensions between western guides and local sherpas. Soloists were the perfect fall guy for western guides: western guides don't make any money off them, and the western guides get to distance themselves from the conflict.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135

Damn, there goes my vacation plans.  I guess I'll need to figure out anoter way to drop a couple ton of money while trying to commit suicide.

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337
Matt Himmelstein wrote:

Damn, there goes my vacation plans.  I guess I'll need to figure out anoter way to drop a couple ton of money while trying to commit suicide.

Dude, it’s all about Pakistan. Bigger walls, worse weather, less rescue, more Al Qaeda. 

Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40

I can't imagine this is going to change anything. The "guide" will be sitting in the last teahouse at the end of the road, while the extreme alpinists are doing their thing high up on the mountain.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "No soloing in Nepal"