Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Starbucks IS Coming to Yosemite National Park

Original Post
Freddy Brewster Brewster · · yosemite, Ca · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 30

Yet another major corporation will be entering YNP this summer with a location in the Yosemite Lodge. 

This continues a growing trend where corporations are gaining undue influence in some of our most sacred lands. In Yosemite, recent years have seen corporations barrel roll into YNP and the National Park Service. The Yosemite Valley Visitor Center now showcases televisions blaring recent corporate sponsorships, for companies such as REI, Subaru and even Budweiser. A small market just outside of the park but still on federal land that was run by a local family lost its contract to a corporation from Florida in 2015 (uniondemocrat.com/localnews…). And there is also a very public dispute going on in court about who owns the names to historic buildings, camp grounds, and hotels (nytimes.com/2016/03/02/us/b…) some of which were built by tax payer money in the early 1900’s. This is all amidst chronic and largely unaddressed skyrocketing visitation, which has been met with the dozing of small meadows and trees in Yosemite Valley to pave the way for more parking lots. 

Sign the Petition if you would like:
https://www.change.org/p/tom-mcclintock-stop-starbucks-in-yosemite/fbog/588418376?recruiter=588418376&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page.nafta_milestone_share_ask_1.72_hour_ask

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

There are already many food concessions in YNP, including places to buy coffee. Why not Starbucks? Is it just "we don't like big corporations"? 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Maybe that can go in our new climbing center!

woot!

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 119
FrankPS wrote:

There are already many food concessions in YNP, including places to buy coffee. Why not Starbucks? Is it just "we don't like big corporations"? 

Small food concessions don't have the influence or money to lobby for bulldozing meadows and trees.

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,118
David Kerkeslager wrote:

Small food concessions don't have the influence or money to lobby for bulldozing meadows and trees.

Did Starbucks lobby for the bulldozing of land in Yosemite?

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Starbucks yuck! Any small coffee shop with a pulse yum! 

End thread 

Chuck Parks wrote:

Did Starbucks lobby for the bulldozing of land in Yosemite?

I don't know about a specific instance in Yosemite, but Starbucks has a long proud history of lobbying for development which is detrimental to the areas being developed.

I don't think we're obligated to give Starbucks a chance in such a sensitive area.

"Pass the Pitons" Pete Zabrok · · Oakville, Ontario · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 645

I hope we'll still be able to get free refills. 

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 250

What the valley really needs is a climbing gym. 

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,118
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I don't know about a specific instance in Yosemite, but Starbucks has a long proud history of lobbying for development which is detrimental to the areas being developed.

I don't think we're obligated to give Starbucks a chance in such a sensitive area.

Could you provide some examples please? Can't seem to find anything about it on the Google.

Chuck Parks wrote:

Could you provide some examples please? Can't seem to find anything about it on the Google.

Here's their lobbying spending. Note that they probably spend a lot more than that.

Here's a story about them opening up a location in my neighborhood, threatening locally-owned businesses. Note that this was a pretty big controversy at the time.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

SBUX has been very good to me and my plans not to work forever. I’m not pointing any fingers or looking down on Starbucks. You anarchists or hypocrites out there may find below the ammo for your crusade:

http://www.wyattresearch.com/article/starbucks-real-estate-investment-strategy/

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

I really do like Starbucks's coffee.  I will see you guys this spring with tall lattes. All the problems in the world and Yosemite and they're pissed about corporate coffee in Yosemite.  Pumpkin spiced lattes are really going to ruin the wilderness experience. 

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 569
David Kerkeslager wrote:

Here's a story about them opening up a location in my neighborhood, threatening locally-owned businesses. Note that this was a pretty big controversy at the time.

I guess Degnan's is doomed.

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 235

All I know, is if you get that coffee in the market, near the Climbing School store and the pizza shop, it's the worst brown water ever.  Makes Starbucks taste like Intelligensia.  I'm not a big fan of SBUX but sheesh the current coffee offering in the park pathetic.

Gavin Towey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I thought the coffee corner in the cafeteria was run by Peets.  Or maybe it just uses their beans.  Corporations are already in the door.  I think there are more important battles to fight than who runs the concessions -- just because the current corp overlord in the park isn't branded out the whazoo doesn't mean it's somehow on a moral high ground.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Starbucks IS Coming to Yosemite National Park"
in the Community Forum