Mountain Project Logo

Newb in PA looking to try ice climbing

Original Post
Peter Herman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Newb in central PA looking to try ice climbing for the first time.  I’m fairly new to climbing and I’ve been on more guided climbs than not guided.  I think I would need to go with a guide, does anyone have any guides that they would recommend in PA?  Or southern NY? 

Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55

Where do you live in central PA?

Lewisburg. 

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

Used to live there... Don't know of much ice climbing around there. Try Ricket's glen.   Or if you want to go to NY, the Catskills.  I'm sure there are some guiding services up there.  If not you can probably hire someone from the Daks to come down to the Catskills.

You could also try out around Pittsburgh...  Look up Fred who used to run Exkursions.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

You might also try talking to the guy who owns the rock climbing gym in Milton, if it is still open.  I think his name is Jack.  He should know or at least be able to put you in touch with the right people.

Thanks.  I’ll talk to Jack next time I go to the gym.

Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55

Kyle at Awakening Adventures is about 30 mins from you. They specialize in climbing as therapy, however he might be able to guide for you or point you in the right direction. He's a PA admin on here.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Newb in PA looking to try ice climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started