Mountain Project Logo

Bachelor Party Ideas

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
rob rebel wrote:

Make it in May and go to Vegas! 

Because it's so easy to change a wedding date!

Pnelson wrote:

Usually these threads just feature folks shouting out for their most familiar, local climbing areas, so I'll do that.

Come to the New River Gorge!  Plenty of cabins to rent, great food and live music scene, whitewater rafting and mountain biking for rest days.  Only drawback is that it's not near any major airports.  Charleston WV is about an hour away but can be pricy to get to.  Nearest international is Pittsburgh, a bit over 3 hrs.

Humidity and biting insects.

Matt Himmelstein wrote:

June?  I guess Red Rocks is out.  I have not climbed there, but there is climbing in Southern Utah, which is an easy reach from Vegas, so you could meet up there, drive to St. George (90 in June) climb for a few days then back to Vegas for the rest of the time.  May is a bit cooler, so maybe you pull it back a few weeks?

Basically, whenever Red Rocks is out, so is St. George as the temperatures are very similar. June is more typically upper 90's, even some low 100's some years. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
JCM wrote:

Leavenworth: The climbing is mediocre, and the weather can be hot in June. Not worth it.

That's literally the first time I've heard the climbing around Leavenworth called mediocre. Are you only talking about the stuff near town? I was thinking of the excellent alpine rock climbing, which is certainly better than mediocre!

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

June is pretty much a bad time to climb anywhere in the US.

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Boston? Fun city - easy to fly into and you are only a 2 hour drive to Rumney and or 1 hour to Farley. 

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
Pnelson wrote:

Usually these threads just feature folks shouting out for their most familiar, local climbing areas, so I'll do that.

As in most destination threads, people should be banned from recommending any area that is "local" to them, For the reason that many climbers tend to love their local crags unconditionally and don't see the downsides of the area as a destination for those traveling.

Anyway, returning to the OP, it sounds like Squamish and Tahoe are getting the most votes. There is good reason for this. They are almost certainly the two best locations in North America for your criteria. Now, if you are going to choose between those two options, there are pluses and minuses to both. In general, the climbing in Squamish is more concentrated and arguably better, but the weather is less reliable in June. Tahoe arguably has more resort amenities (food/bars/etc) from a non-climber vacation perspective. Although this is just comparing Squamish to Tahoe. If you include Whistler and Vancouver, then Squamish/Whistler/Vancouver probably wins vs. Reno/Tahoe for non-outdoors amusements.

It may just come down to ease of access and cost. My guess is that, from most places in the US, it will be cheaper and easier to fly to Reno or Sacramento than it is to fly to Vancouver. So with all else being reasonably equal, Tahoe would probably win on account of airfare.

Or just shop around on Airbnb for both locations and choose whichever location you can find a good price on a sweet cabin.

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50
ViperScale . wrote:

This sounds like a Southeast bias...

My vote is for Tahoe, it’s close to Sacramento and SFO, lot’s of options for easy accessible climbing and plenty of non-climbing activity too. Weather should be great in June.

ViperScale . wrote:

Not really an accurate statement.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
Nick Sweeney wrote:

That's literally the first time I've heard the climbing around Leavenworth called mediocre. Are you only talking about the stuff near town? I was thinking of the excellent alpine rock climbing, which is certainly better than mediocre!

Most people talking about Leavenworth, especially if they are from out of state, are going to assume that you are referring to the cragging and bouldering Icicle/Tumwater canyons. And the climbing in those areas is decidely mediocre (most who claim otherwise really need to travel more). If you are talking about the alpine rock in the Stuart Range, you need to specify as such.

And yes, the Stuart Range is fricken rad, but that is likely a bit more involved an excursion than your typical bachelor party cragging group is looking for. Mind you that the OP asked for sport or trad climbing, which if not specified otherwise usually means cragging or relatively accessible multipitch (for most climbers). If he wanted big alpine rock he would have asked for it. Not to mention that access to the Stuart Range in June can still be a bit snowy, so again it is a bit more involved than I'd imagine most people want for that kind of trip.

Again, this gets back to the problem with recommending a place that is near and dear to you.

Daniel Howe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

+1 for the Tahoe area.  You can send some amazing multi pitch routes, single pitch, boulder or even top rope if you’re inclined. As far as nearby attractions, there’s Lake Tahoe and if you go just north of Lovers Leap there’s a nice campground area called Ice House or Wright’s Lake around the corner, with decent climbing at both.  

all depends on what you want, but in my view this has everything I want, outside of Yosemite. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
Marc801 C wrote:

Because it's so easy to change a wedding date!

He wouldn't be changing the wedding date, but the date of the bachelor party.  That is way more flexible.  Doing it further away from the wedding gives you more time to get the face tattoo lasered off.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
JCM wrote:

Most people talking about Leavenworth, especially if they are from out of state, are going to assume that you are referring to the cragging and bouldering Icicle/Tumwater canyons. And the climbing in those areas is decidely mediocre (most who claim otherwise really need to travel more). If you are talking about the alpine rock in the Stuart Range, you need to specify as such.

And yes, the Stuart Range is fricken rad, but that is likely a bit more involved an excursion than your typical bachelor party cragging group is looking for. Mind you that the OP asked for sport or trad climbing, which if not specified otherwise usually means cragging or relatively accessible multipitch (for most climbers). If he wanted big alpine rock he would have asked for it. Not to mention that access to the Stuart Range in June can still be a bit snowy, so again it is a bit more involved than I'd imagine most people want for that kind of trip.

Again, this gets back to the problem with recommending a place that is near and dear to you.

Got it - we're talking about different things.  I was thinking about the stellar routes on the Snow Creek wall which is a mellow approach that should be snow-free that time of year.  I would never call the cragging in Leavenworth "near and dear" to me ;)

Bobby H · · Michigan · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Climb in the Gunks. Fly into NYC 

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

Majorca

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

I mean you wouldn’t want to sink the money into a dedicated climbing trip to Redrock in the hotter months but if your just tacking on a few days of climbing before a bachelor party you could easily get up early / chase shade .... solid trade off for the bachelor side of things imo. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Longview, Wa

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

Go party out in the desert and climb towers in Moab

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325
Joe Lindberg wrote:

Go party out in the desert and climb towers in Moab

At night when it's not 110F out in the shade.  I worked for the BLM there for a summer and man-oh-man were June, July, and August toasty.

Plus, he specifically stated not Colorado and everyone knows that IC is the best crag in CO. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Andrew Steavpack · · Castle Pines, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 105

I'd vote for squamish. However, just to throw out the idea Rifle fits all the criteria except for being in Colorado, its relatively close to Glenwood Springs and Aspen where flight prices can be fairly reasonable but its in CO. Other than that Jackson Hole could be another possibility lots of good climbing in WY and the weather should be less dicey than Squamish.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Bachelor Party Ideas"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started