Mountain Project Logo

LOST ROPE AND ROPE BAG @J-Tree 12/27/17

Original Post
Shawn Sweeney · · NEW BRITAIN · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1

Feel like a real chuffer here, we lost a rope at trashcan rock (Quail springs) in front of the climb "Filch" it starts with an off width cracking in front of a boulder. It is a mammut 70m 9.5mm green/gray rope with a black/gray Metolius rope bag. REWARD: 2 very happy climbers and a 6 pack of your choice! 

Please call: 860-921-3198 or 860-672-5866 if you have the gear or any info about it. 

-Shawn

UPDATE: A man named John is witholding our lost rope. My girlfriend and I have his number and he is being un-responsive after an initial text. We have proof that the rope was ours, see the attached photo. If anyone has any information about this man who has our rope please contact me directly at 860-921-3198

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

What did he say in his initial text? Strange that he would respond but not give the rope back. 

Me on the climb, I repelled off a gear anchor to clean the gear. I walked around to the top of the boulder to clean the gear anchor and dropped the rope, I forgot the rope there at the base of the climb since my girlfriend and I were in a hurry to get to our camp site.  I'll post screen shots of my girlfriend's conversation with John

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 430

LOL go cry about it.

Nobody's under any obligation to return something you abandoned in a public place. Your reward for a $200 rope and rope bag is $5 of beer. I'd forgive the man if responding to your texts ASAP isn't his top priority. 

These texts are between my girlfriend and "John".  someone who knew John gave us his number and we have texts from him too. I have called John directly several times and days, I understand there is limited availability in Joshua tree however his inbox is full and cannot take a message. I will send him texts directly from my phone with pictures and links to this page. I just want my rope back :(

I understand he does not need to give it back although he is obligated to, I just was under the impression climbers were generally more gracious people. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

I'm sorry. I just don't understand. How the hell do you intentionally drop your rope off a climb and then somehow "forget" about it?

Maybe cut back on the weed until you're back at camp?

Yes it was dumb of us, mistakes happen. We were not used to cleaning like this, we typically follow clean or do climbs with bolt anchors for this reason. Needless to say I checked for every piece of gear after every climb twice for the rest of the trip. 

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34
nathanael wrote:

LOL go cry about it.

Nobody's under any obligation to return something you abandoned in a public place. Your reward for a $200 rope and rope bag is $5 of beer. I'd forgive the man if responding to your texts ASAP isn't his top priority. 

I don't understand why some climbers are inherently bad people. If you found someone's rope and knew the identify of the owner, you wouldn't give it back?

Also, it is considered stealing in California, and thus he is obligated: http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-485.html

Sounds like a sketchball; hope you get it returned in the end.

BriZ T. · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I hope you can find peace one day marc801 ...that you can address the pain you have within and rise above it. I only see you be very negative to others and I genuinely hope you find peace. Shawn good luck on your journey to get your rope, we all make mistakes, such is life . peace  

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 430
Ancent wrote:

I don't understand why some climbers are inherently bad people. If you found someone's rope and knew the identify of the owner, you wouldn't give it back?

Also, it is considered stealing in California, and thus he is obligated: http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-485.html

Sounds like a sketchball; hope you get it returned in the end.

Haha yes, I would give the rope back if I could find who it belonged to. Unless of course the person who lost it got upset that I didn't sprint directly to the post office to ship it to Connecticut, and resorted to posting my phone number on a public forum trying to shame me for being too slow. Then I might keep the rope. But anyways, good luck Shawn.

EDIT: Phone # has since been removed. All this to say, it's always great when people return lost items; I do it whenever possible, and I've been the grateful recipient of other people's kindness when I've lost things. BUT, I always try to view it as more of a favor by them rather than my right as the person who fucked up by losing something.

I hope your rope gets returned. Although you deserve the derision, you should get the rope back, too, provided you pay the shipping  Dumb mistake doesn't make it right for someone else to keep it, especially when you know who it belongs to.

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34
nathanael wrote:

Haha yes, I would give the rope back if I could find who it belonged to. Unless of course the person who lost it got upset that I didn't sprint directly to the post office to ship it to Connecticut, and resorted to posting my phone number on a public forum trying to shame me for being too slow. Then I might keep the rope. But anyways, good luck Shawn.

Valid. Except that weird creepy text he sent suggests he was never planning to give it back. "I would like to hear where you were..." What a way to respond to someone! How is that one's greeting?

When I've returned lost gear, a typical normal/kind response would be "Glad to hear you got in touch..." "I'd be happy to try to return this asap" "Great that you got my contact info" etc.

Of course the world isn't as kind as I'd hope, but I'm always rooting for climbers being the good guys.

Please do not call anyone out. I dropped the rope and left it where it fell. Texts were edited to remove John's Phone number.

Shawn,

Is it possible that John may not even have your rope? That he trolled you, and never had it?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
BriZ T. wrote:

I hope you can find peace one day marc801 ...that you can address the pain you have within and rise above it. I only see you be very negative to others and I genuinely hope you find peace. Shawn good luck on your journey to get your rope, we all make mistakes, such is life . peace  

It was a genuine question. Yeah, people make mistakes. Why should wanting to know the details about this mistake be any different than wanting to know the details of a lowering mistake? Yes, I hope Shawn gets his rope back, especially since someone appears to be in possession of it. 

And I'm curious about which of my 3349 posts over the past 4 years are "very negative" as well as my question to Shawn?

I just got in contact with John a few minutes ago until he lost service on the way to the park. He is a seasoned climber and seems like a decent guy. He noted that he stayed with the rope for an hour and looked to see if it was anyone's at the crag before he left. He also assumes some litter left near the rope was associated with us, although it was not ours. I am willing to pay for the shipping cost of the rope, the gas to get to and from the postage office to return the rope, and for the inconvenienced hour he spent looking for us with the rope. He seemed reluctant to return the rope when we hung up and made a point that he is busy the next couple of days. I am hesitating to contact him any further and am waiting to hear back from him. I hope he again has that feeling he did when he was originally looking for the owners of the rope and follows through now that he has found us.

John if you can read this and decide to return the rope my address is 33 Cider Mill Rd. Andover CT, 06232. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Shawn Sweeney wrote:

I just got in contact with John a few minutes ago until he lost service on the way to the park. He is a seasoned climber and seems like a decent guy. He noted that he stayed with the rope for an hour and looked to see if it was anyone's at the crag before he left. He also assumes some litter left near the rope was associated with us, although it was not ours. I am willing to pay for the shipping cost of the rope, the gas to get to and from the postage office to return the rope, and for the inconvenienced hour he spent looking for us with the rope. He seemed reluctant to return the rope when we hung up and made a point that he is busy the next couple of days. I am hesitating to contact him any further and am waiting to hear back from him. I hope he again has that feeling he did when he was originally looking for the owners of the rope and follows through now that he has found us.

John if you can read this and decide to return the rope my address is 33 Cider Mill Rd. Andover CT, 06232. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Maybe you're just being kind, but if he's reluctant to return your rope, he's not a "decent guy." Don't count on getting it back, then you won't be too disappointed..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "LOST ROPE AND ROPE BAG @J-Tree 12/27/17"