Mountain Project Logo

I can't believe I have to even post this

Original Post
Tony Spainhour · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SAY THIS

" DO NOT THROW ANYTHING OFF THE TOP OF CLIFFS".

I was in a climbing area today, at the base, scoping things out. Turned a corner and very large rock came bouncing down. Not unusual during a major freeze and thawing cycle that we are experiencing. I cautiously continued and heard voices on top, then witnessed someone throw an 8 ft. long ice cycle that would have annihilated me if I hadn't ducked and ran. I confronted the group of 4, who one of them turns out to be a climber. ARE YOU FKM! YOU REALLY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. After I found out he was a climber, I was so livid, I couldn't even say anything to him about having a chainsaw in a low profile area.

The responses I got:
"There was no one in the parking area when we pulled in.
"It was just an ice cycle"

IDIOTS

Who ever you are, I could have easily been killed because of your stupidity and ignorance. Plus, you were obviously cutting something on the buttress without anything to warn anybody else, of what was going.

IDIOTS

There was a white GMC dually parked in the access area with a sticker on the window that read "Fought in some tuff stuff". If you know this person, please have a talk with him about basic safety, common sense, and local ethics.

Jon Powell · · LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 110

where was this? Sadly it happens a lot. One of the reasons I always keep a helmet on

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I have seriously started keeping my helmet on at all times as well. Rock fall and dumbasses 

Charlie Faramarzi · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

Yep. I made the mistake of doing some easy climbing on Yonah to get a neat view of the solar eclipse. Easily 200ish people on top. Multiple rocks, water bottles, and even a shoe went flying by as I climbed. 

Josh Gates · · Wilmington, DE · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 4

Heard a nice one on this topic at a crag this fall from another climber. She says that (at a location with a few popular 70-ft TR routes) she is belaying when she hears a cry of 'rope!' from above. What comes down? An entire rope. In a bag. *facepalm

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 51

Buddy had firecrackers thrown at him from the top of crowders earlier this year, and he's a county cop.  Didn't catch them though. 

Tom Caldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 3,623

Almost got hit by a toaster struddle at Table Rock State Park last week while climbing. That was thrown by a hiker. Sucks to hear your incident was with climbers. They should know better and check below before trundling anything.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
TomCaldwell wrote:

Almost got hit by a toaster struddle at Table Rock State Park last week while climbing. That was thrown by a hiker. Sucks to hear your incident was with climbers. They should know better and check below before trundling anything.

Mmmmmmm tasty

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Seth Monteleone wrote:

Buddy had firecrackers thrown at him from the top of crowders earlier this year, and he's a county cop.  Didn't catch them though. 

I can imagine it might look like this if he did catch them- https://i.gyazo.com/5aaa8ce2da9c97858c89118e8b1a477f.mp4

Jim Corbett · · Keene, NY · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 10

Back in the '80s some bozo threw the garbage can off the top of Sunset Rock in Chattanooga. At that time there were much fewer parking issues and was very popular. The can landed on the trail below where there were several dozen climbers. Some climbers on top of Rattlesnake/Headwall (still open in those days) heard the cries of outrage from below. They caught the guy before he got to the parking lot. He (barely) managed to walk away, but highly unlikely he ever did that sort of thing again.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "I can't believe I have to even post this"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started