Mountain Project Logo

Mexico by land - Passport question

Original Post
Brad Ray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 10

I'm planning on travelling to EPC for the first time in January, and my passport expires in May. According to the State Department website, my passport just needs to be valid at the time of entry, but I've read elsewhere that it needs to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the point of entry. Can anybody who's been recently comment on any issues they've had going into Mexico?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Check Mexico's rules. It's the other country that will have rules about how close to expiration you can travel. 

Edit: Google says Mexico has a 6 month rule for passports. It needs to be good for 6 months from entry because that's the maximum amount of time you can stay in the country on a single visa. I'd guess that there's some discretion there for the border officials, but I wouldn't count on being allowed in. 

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

It probably depends mostly on whether the border official notices or cares. 

I have seen them turn away several people at the border car registration place in Nuevo Laredo for not having their paperwork in order. Seems some of them are indeed quite diligent.

Rudy Peckham · · Potrero Chico · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 508

They issue 2 types of tourist visas one is for 7 or 10 days (I can't remember) and the other is for 180 days. So MAYBE if you're getting the shorter duration visa, but I wouldn't count on it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mexico by land - Passport question"
in the International