Mountain Project Logo

What are these? Bolts without hangers

Original Post
Isaac Christensen · · St. George UT · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 508

Could anyone enlighten me on why there would not be hangers on these two bolts? They seemed pretty solid but they’ve got no hangers!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Is that the top of a climb or could it be a highline rigging point?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Marc801 C wrote:

Is that the top of a climb or could it be a highline rigging point?

Probably not a highline- those usually have 3 bolts minimum. Maybe an abandoned project that someone had sunk an anchor to try? Throw a couple hangers on them and rappel down and have a look... 

John Wilder wrote:

Probably not a highline- those usually have 3 bolts minimum. Maybe an abandoned project that someone had sunk an anchor to try? Throw a couple hangers on them and rappel down and have a look... 

Yea that makes sense, thanks and I definitely will!

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 740

I have seen people do this so that people don't climb their project before they do. Like red tagging a route but instead just pull the hangers.

curt86iroc · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 53

We do that in SAR a lot.  It makes the presence of the hardware less noticeable to people (and harder to find for poachers), but we don't do it on vertical rock. It can be common in areas where high angle scree evacs occur and natural anchors are not available.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 748

We have some bolts without hangers at a local spot that are very, very old! Hardware was banned decades ago, so what is there is ancient. Be cautious!

Best, OLH

Ryan Hill · · Oakland, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 30

That looks like Green Valley Gap?  Local guide company has highlines and rappels set up there on a regular basis, might be one of their stations.  There is also a history of locals (non-climbers usually) stealing hangers from that area for whatever reason.  

I also remember a lot of routes being put up that really didn't make sense.  Could be an abandoned route or one of the local climbers decided they didn't want it.  

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
DRusso wrote:

I have seen people do this so that people don't climb their project before they do. Like red tagging a route but instead just pull the hangers.

+1

Ryan Hill wrote:

That looks like Green Valley Gap?  Local guide company has highlines and rappels set up there on a regular basis, might be one of their stations.  There is also a history of locals (non-climbers usually) stealing hangers from that area for whatever reason.  

I also remember a lot of routes being put up that really didn't make sense.  Could be an abandoned route or one of the local climbers decided they didn't want it.  

Yea it looks like the gap but it’s not, it’s called Garth rocks and yea it could be an abandoned climb.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

It's possible someone just jacked the hangers. Certainly not unheard of. Otherwise, it's possibly an anchor for a highline although usually highliners leave their hangers on the same as climbers.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
20 kN wrote:

It's possible someone just jacked the hangers. 

And neatly put the washers and nuts back on? Sure are some strange criminals in the US  

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Jim Titt wrote:

And neatly put the washers and nuts back on? Sure are some strange criminals in the US  

Not the first time I would have seen it. Call it a criminal with a conscious?

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 251

Sad to say, there is a climbing area near me where someone steals the anchor hangers.  I have replaced a few last year.  Not saying this is the case of this thread, but something I thought of when reading it.

rkrum · · Here and there · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 40
Jim Titt wrote:

You must remember this is the same country where we neatly camo bolts on routes where the chalk can be seen from miles away   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "What are these? Bolts without hangers"