Mountain Project Logo

GriGri+ commentary and PSA

Original Post
Aidan Raviv · · South Pasadena, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 100

Hi climbers,

This is a PSA about the GriGri+: the chief complaint I hear (aside from price and weight gripes) is that the GriGri+ cannot lower properly on large/stiff/sticky ropes due to premature engagement of the anti-panic feature. While it does engage when I don't want it to on gym ropes, an easy workaround it overriding the anti-panic by continuing to pull back on the lever after the anti-panic trips. This will allow you to lower the climber as with a GriGri 2, 

I can't count the number of times I have read/heard of people complaining about this on MP and I figured this is something people should know.

I have been reading a lot of belay device commentary looking to see whether I should get an alpine up/megajul/smart alpine etc for my little sister and I could no longer stay silent as I heard people disparage my favorite belay device. 

See this Petzl link for more info. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40

Since a few weeks I use the GriGri+ in the gym, mostly top rope, and it took a bit of getting used to, but now I am comfortable with lowering in the normal release mode, just before the anti panic setting. Even with thick stiff ropes. But overhere we don't have these double wraps at the top anchor I hear about from other gyms. Maybe that makes the problem worse.

I do use the feature of pulling the lever all the way back, through the anti panic stop, when the climber is on the ground again and I want to give them a bit of extra slack. In my experience this is the easiest way to give that bit of extra slack so they can undo their knot comfortably.

I agree about the weight. That thing is heavy! Certainly compared to the ATC I always used.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "GriGri+ commentary and PSA"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion