Mountain Project Logo

No Moe Camping at Moe's Valley :(

Original Post
Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 873

I was there all weekend and didn't notice the signs, but apparently, there is no "moe" camping at Moe's Valley. The signs went up in the last few days. :( From what I've gathered, the land is not actually BLM. It's owned by SITLA, the trust that sells land for development to fund Utah schools. From the conversation on the Southern Utah Climbers Association Facebook page, I don't think the boulders themselves are in danger of development, but the suburbs are expanding into the surrounding lands. SITLA said (and anyone who has been there recently knows this is true) that tons of trash has been left around Moe's. There also roads, trails, and firepits everywhere. They also claim that the area is being used for "drug dealing" and "prostitution," though that's more of a community problem than a climber problem. Bottom line: SITLA wants Moe's Valley to be a "day use only area."

What climbers can do to help:
- Practice LNT and pack everything out.
- Don't build fires.
- Poop in a wag bag or nearby gas station.
- Don't drive back to the boulders. Park at the main lot and walk.
- Use established trails when possible.
- Camp on the BLM land south of Moe's past the Bear Paw Poppy trailhead. (I haven't been there yet, but it was suggested by another climber.)
- Tune into the Southern Utah Climbers Association Facebook page for a crag clean up in January.

While I have mixed feelings about SITLA claiming they are "protecting trust lands" when we all know it's going to be paved and turned into suburbs, I think it's important for climbers to play ball and work out a reasonable and legal solution. This is one of the best winter bouldering spots in the state, and I would hate to lose it.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Anyone tried the new camp spot?

caesar.salad wrote:

Anyone tried the new camp spot?

One of my friends tried it and said it was great. Only about 10 minutes from Moe's. 

Sweet. Thanks.

Sky Tico · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Are you guys talking about Green valley gap?? Apparently you can't camp there anymore...

Sky Tico wrote:

Are you guys talking about Green valley gap?? Apparently you can't camp there anymore...

No green valley gap is north of Moes on SITLA land. The blm camping is south of Moes.

NM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Creed Archibald wrote:

One of my friends tried it and said it was great. Only about 10 minutes from Moe's. 

Where is the new camping spot?

NM wrote:

Where is the new camping spot?

South of Moe's, past the "Bear Claw Poppy Trailhead." 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Thanks Access Fund! 

grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Thanks Access Fund! 

?

David Aldama · · Running Springs, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 7,768

Beware of the rednecks with guns if camping around the Bearclaw Poppy Trailhead. 

And dirtbikes....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "No Moe Camping at Moe's Valley :("
in the Southern Utah Deserts