Mountain Project Logo

Atomic backland boots

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone have experience with these or have a lot of knowledge about them? Backcountry.com has what looks like 5 different kinds. Will they take auto crampons? I have BD auto cyborgs. And how warm are they? Id like to do mt hood in February skimo style. Wondering if they'll be warm enough for February conditions and will I be able to climb fine in them? Any info will be appreciated. Also if you know a better boot that someone has a deal on that isn't used let me know recommendations. I tried the one style on that they had in-store and I favor the lightweight over a heavier 4 buckle boot...ill sacrifice the ability to really rip downhill if I can climb easily in them and skin up with less energy wasted. Thanks

Dan K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I've used my pair for one season now. They do take auto crampons, but you'll need to get wide bails.

Of you do a search on here you'll find mention of them seeing use on Denali, with over boots at the higher elevations. I haven't been in situations that cold myself.

The range of movement and light weight is great although I do get reliable blisters when climbing (need to visit a boot fitter with them). The stiff tongues help performance but they are still obviously designed with uphill as the focus. That tongue really does make for a slow transition however.

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Not a huge issue but the heel tab catch does get in the way of back lever thing (at least with grivels).

They are warm enough. I think they make a huge difference skinning and are easy enough to walk in. 

What size are you?

rkrum · · CO-ish · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 40

I ground down part of that plastic tab on my grivels for that reason. Works fine now.

If cold is a concern, consider getting a different liner. The backland liner is really minimal, something like an intuition would help a ton.

As far as walking and climbing goes, this boot walks and climbs better than my ice boots. Climbing performance will not be an issue.

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

I bought a pair of these a few weeks ago at REI and got a really good deal. Unfortunately, mother nature hasn't been good to us so far this winter and I haven't tried them out yet.

https://www.rei.com/product/891817/atomic-backland-carbon-alpine-touring-ski-boots-mens-20152016#

t.farrell wrote:

Not a huge issue but the heel tab catch does get in the way of back lever thing (at least with grivels).

They are warm enough. I think they make a huge difference skinning and are easy enough to walk in. 

What size are you?

My Head downhill boots are 26.5 and slightly tight. Heard I should size up 1 for all day comfort in AT boots although I know slop in a ski boot is a big no no. My scarpa ice boots are 41.5 and fit perfect.  I appreciate all the input a ton so far. It seems like with a minimalist liner that they wouldnt be warm enough for hood in February. Can swap that out but how low of temps have you guys used them in without real risk to digits? I know they'll be good for baker in June but dunno about Feb.

Btw I can get Black diamond 50% off so my setup I'm looking at going with would be the BD Helios 95 skis...dynafit TLT superlight 2.0 bindings...whatever skins.. And the atomic backland boots. Going for weight savings without sacrificing functions like release. Let me know what u think

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

I wear a 43.5 in Scarpa and LS I’ve boots. My backlands are 26.5 and they were way too tight until I cooked them. I have a 27.5 LS syborg but it’d probably be too big for you.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 162

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

It seems like with a minimalist liner that they wouldnt be warm enough for hood in February. 

You'll be fine, it's Hood not Denali.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Atomic backland boots"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion