Mountain Project Logo

Losing sleep over trash found at creek

Original Post
adam.b · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 160

Found a piece of paper I originally thought was trash at Indian Creek last week, it turned out to be the smartest piece of trash I've found at the crag....

"If you are experiencing drift down, what air speed should you maintain to minimize sink rate?"

Please help me solve this

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Drift down is an aviation term. I Googled it. Now you know everything I do about it. Why is that such a smart piece of trash? Because we didn't know what it meant?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 581

Non-motorized aviation, is my guess: glider, paraglider, etc.

Anything capable of soaring will be looking to maximize time in the air, or at minimum, optimize the landing . Which usually means gaining lift, somehow. That's the fun part of the game, trading speed, distance, lift, time aloft, etc to maximize the ride.

Even some plants can manage this, astonishingly well. We just play at it!

Best, OLH

EDIT to add: OP, google maximum glide versus minimum sink, to get started. It's a fun rabbit hole!

FrankPS wrote:

Drift down is an aviation term. I Googled it. Now you know everything I do about it. Why is that such a smart piece of trash? Because we didn't know what it meant?

Probably because it made me feel dum after reading it haha. I figured it had to do with aviation, what is the airspeed required? Do we have enough information, or is there a standard number like  50 m/s?

Old lady H wrote:

google maximum glide versus minimum sink, to get started. It's a fun rabbit hole!

Thanks for the tip!

Adam, as I stated above, first thing you will come across are emergency procedures for regular aircraft. Then accident reports, and on from there.

Not a pilot, just lived with one for decades.

Best, OLH

I work at a library, so random bits of paper often make me wonder what the back story was.

I have one of those found bits framed in my work area. On a random, oddly shaped bit of paper is written, basically, "I hope you have a good day at school". Very bad spelling, a cross out, and childish handwriting. I like to think it was from a young child, to a mom or dad, on their return to school.

Best, Helen

Old lady H wrote:

Non-motorized aviation, is my guess: glider, paraglider, etc.

Based on my cursory Google review of it, it has to do with losing an engine on a multiengine plane. The rate is dependent upon aircraft mass, available thrust, etc. Blah, blah, blah. 

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,075

Q: "How far can we fly on one engine?"

A: "All the way to the scene of the crash."

;)

John Barritt wrote:

FrankPS wrote:

Based on my cursory Google review of it, it has to do with losing an engine on a multiengine plane. The rate is dependent upon aircraft mass, available thrust, etc. Blah, blah, blah. 

Same here, Frank. Yes, my evil self posted before googling, horrors, but, ya see, that engine flameout sorta becomes a glider.... ;-)

Angle of glide should apply even to a flying squirrel (insert Rocky and Bullwinkle here). I once had the pleasure of watching an extremely skilled pilot land a Cub very close to vertically! Now that's short field! A fortuitous head wind, and skill, I admit that. 

At John, precisely so, lol!!!

Best, Helen

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,075
FrankPS wrote:

Like this?

Ron always steals my stuff......I have a kid named tater-salad..... ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Losing sleep over trash found at creek"
in the Southern Utah Deserts