Mountain Project Logo

Northwest face of half dome

Original Post
Steve Phillips · · Holden, MA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Looking to find an experienced lead to do this with it has been my dream to do this route I can comfortably follow on 5.10 and have some experience with aid climbing can someone at least tell me where to begin when it comes to deciding to climb something like this. I want this bad

Jimmy Yammine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

Hire a guide.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Steve Phillips wrote:

Looking to find an experienced lead to do this with it has been my dream to do this route I can comfortably follow on 5.10 and have some experience with aid climbing can someone at least tell me where to begin when it comes to deciding to climb something like this. I want this bad

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but for starters, get in some 1000' days at your local crag at the 5.9 - 5.10+ level. Fitness and ultra efficient anchor building and belay change-overs are often overlooked by wall newbies. Oh, try to get used to 5.9 chimneys - they're basically unavoidable on a lot of Yosemite walls.

can anybody provide a link for a guide service? My google results are coming up pretty dry 

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

There's a couple of leads on this page.

http://bfy.tw/FbWJ

Steve Phillips wrote:

can anybody provide a link for a guide service? My google results are coming up pretty dry 

The only legal guide service in Yosemite is the Yosemite Mountaineering School & Guide Service

Thanks a lot guys!

Jimmy Yammine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

You can also hire guides straight from the AMGA website. Or at least talk to one and they can be helpful.

Jimmy Yammine wrote:

You can also hire guides straight from the AMGA website. Or at least talk to one and they can be helpful.

But they can only legally guide in Yosemite if they are part of the Yosemite Mountain School. 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

There are no mandatory hard chimneys on the RNWFHD. 

Robbins Chimney fell off.

Only 5.8  or so at most mandatory for the leader.

With a guide, all you have to be able to do is jug. YMS guides won't let you lead AFAIK.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Northwest face of half dome"