Mountain Project Logo

Cassin X Dream pick weights

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 135

I just spent the last weekend pounding my Howey Tools picks with Petzl weights on my Xdreams into thin ice over rock. Hit rock dozens of swings. The stock CAMP picks would have been flattened and I barely needed to touch up the Howeys!! Seriously amazing. Highly recommend Howey Tools picks for Xdreams. Can't wait for Jeremy to make an Xdream pick with hammer. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

I just spent the last weekend pounding my Howey Tools picks with Petzl weights on my Xdreams into thin ice over rock. Hit rock dozens of swings. The stock CAMP picks would have been flattened and I barely needed to touch up the Howeys!! Seriously amazing. Highly recommend Howey Tools picks for Xdreams. Can't wait for Jeremy to make an Xdream pick with hammer. 

Do they perform pretty well on pure ice? I rarely mixed climb, I am mostly interested in how the Howey picks perform on pure ice compared to the stock picks and ice-specific picks.

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Do they perform pretty well on pure ice? I rarely mixed climb, I am mostly interested in how the Howey picks perform on pure ice compared to the stock picks and ice-specific picks.

Can't speak for the X-dream picks, but my Howey  ice picks were much better in pure waterfall ice than my Petzl ice picks (I hear the Petzl Pur'Ice picks are good ice only picks as well, but are still way more expensive).  Definitely happy I got mine, no buyers remorse here.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 478
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

Besides the apparent durability, how does the swing and stick compare to the X-dream Mixte picks? Same wrist flick action or is more arm hacking motion required? Do the Howey picks displace about the same amount of ice?

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 135

The short version is the Howey picks with Masseolettes climb pure ice better, to much better, than the Mixte picks. Whether this is attributed to the picks themselves or the weights, I don't know. I haven't changed my swing at all. If I had to change anything, I need to swing a little less as to not oversink the pick. Regarding displacement, I really can't provide a valid comparison - I haven't used the stock picks this whole season. It seems irrelevant because the Howey's just seem overall a lot better. 

The Howey's did seem to lose their finish and looked almost rusty after day 1, but it appears to be just asethetics. 

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

The short version is the Howey picks with Masseolettes climb pure ice better, to much better, than the Mixte picks. Whether this is attributed to the picks themselves or the weights, I don't know. I haven't changed my swing at all. If I had to change anything, I need to swing a little less as to not oversink the pick. Regarding displacement, I really can't provide a valid comparison - I haven't used the stock picks this whole season. It seems irrelevant because the Howey's just seem overall a lot better. 

The Howey's did seem to lose their finish and looked almost rusty after day 1, but it appears to be just asethetics. 

I noticed the same thing re: finish wear on the Howeys after one or two days use on strictly ice, but as you said, purely aesthetics, I can't see any corrosion of any type.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cassin X Dream pick weights "