Mountain Project Logo

Li Ming Climbing?

Original Post
Jared Goldberg · · Haifa, IL · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 125

I’m traveling in Asia and recently heard about developing climbing areas in China, most specifically the Li Ming area. Is li Ming establishe enough to go as someone who follows trad confidently and meet climbers to partner up with (like you can in Thailand, Hampi, etc) or is it still new enough that one should travel there with a climbing partner. I’d be happy for any and all information and tips! 

John Sirois · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 3,185

Great scene in Li Ming! PM'd some contacts.

Jared Goldberg · · Haifa, IL · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 125

Awesome! I didn’t get em, I’d love it if you could shoot them my way one more time if it’s not too much trouble. And you’d recommend a trip there even if it’s just me and I don’t have a rope or rack? Or is it too ambitious to get away with just following there? 

Sabrina Kieser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

There is also a Liming climbing Facebook group where you could potentially find some partners.  And if Liming turns out to be a bust for some reason (not having a rack) Shigu isn't too far away with tons of sport climbing routes. You can check with the owner of The Stone Drum (great place to stay) to see if there are other people staying there looking for a partner. They also have a rope to rent that was in good condition last time I was there.

Scott Odell · · Hawaii · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 45

You should definitely make your way to Liming. I just got back from 2 weeks there and it was spectacular. You should reach out to Mike Dobie for the guidebook (a quality piece) he released this year after the last 6+ years he and others spent developing Liming.

When will you go? If you're visiting sometime March through May I'd think you could easily link up with climbers at Faraway Inn (this is where most climbers stay; the owner has catered to the climbers for a long while). Otherwise, Dec thru end of Feb you might find a smaller crowd, so try linking up with someone from the Liming Rock Climbing Facebook page in advance. Most everyone brings a rack, and its nice to have triples (and even quadruples) of certain cams, so I'd recommend bringing your rack unless you cannot travel with it or you've coordinated with others before arrival. The climbing really is spectacular and worthy of the extra effort of hauling your gear if you're leading trad (though sounds like you might just be following).

Liming is also getting a decent amount more coverage recently after a few groups just posted videos that are making the rounds online -- so perhaps you'll find more people taking notice and psyched to join you. If you don't get a hit on the Liming FB page you might consider posting in the Yangshuo page -- loads more climbers in Yangshuo that would be willing to travel to Liming rather than those that already have scheduled plans to travel. Lots of people make the trip from Yangshuo (sport) to Shigu (sport) to Liming. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Li Ming Climbing? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started