Mountain Project Logo

Utah week

Original Post
Timothy Paul · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

All those Utah experts I want your advice!

We're starting to plan a week to two week trip out that way for next year week of 4th of July (4-6 of us committed). We mostly do sport climbing with a slight amount of trad. Planning on flying into Salt Lake, renting a car and then figuring it out from there. 

Any advice for where to go? We're more than happy camping and hiking to anywhere. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Timothy Paul wrote:

All those Utah experts I want your advice!

We're starting to plan a week to two week trip out that way for next year week of 4th of July (4-6 of us committed). We mostly do sport climbing with a slight amount of trad. Planning on flying into Salt Lake, renting a car and then figuring it out from there. 

Any advice for where to go? We're more than happy camping and hiking to anywhere. 

That's getting into the hot time of year in SLC. Travel times are from downtown SLC.

Chase shade in Big Cottonwood Canyon - trad and sport. 15 minutes.

Hellgate Cliffs - top of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Can be cool or toasty as they face south. 30 minutes. Consider wearing a helmet at the base - mountain goast like to drop rocks on you; a person was killed this way. There are also sport routes at and above Cecret Lake. Generally cool since they're at 10K'.

American Fork - all sport, all limestone; shade or proximity to streams can keep temperatures reasonable. 40 minutes. Mountain goast like to drop rocks on you here too.

Maple Canyon - all sport, all cobbles. It's > 6K' elevation keeps it reasonable. 90-ish minutes.

High Uintas - mostly sport on quartzite at 10500'. Be prepared for afternoon T-storms and chilly temps in the shade. Snow and bugs may still be an issue at that time of year. 90 minutes.

That's the starting point for suggestions. There are other options further away - even Ten Sleep or Wild Iris in WY are within reasonable driving distance, and the Tetons are 5 hrs away. A lot will depend on your heat tolerance. Don't even think about Moab or IC in July.

Thanks for the advice! We thought the same about Moab hahaha. As much as we want to go there.... Not gonna do it in July hahaha. 

Ryan U. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 40

Jungle On the Aquarius Plateau for sure.  Sitting at 10K' with plenty of tree shade and cliffs on both the sides of the compass, you'll find plenty of shade and cooler tempts.  The views are amazing too!  Sport & Trad. A geologic anomaly called The Portal. Free primitive camping near the climbing access.  

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 12,957

The other place you might consider that time of year is City of Rocks in southern ID.  It's ~2.5ish hrs from SLC.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

The Jungle is one of my favorite areas. Unique and fun climbing in an amazing setting. I'd drive down to the Jungle, hit Maple on the way back north, go to the Uintas, then head up to the City of Rocks. You'd get an awesome mix of climbing styles, settings, and rock types.

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,000

These are all reasonable suggestions. Note that a lot of people underestimate the drive time between areas and spend more time driving than they'd envisioned. You could spend an amazing week just in Salt Lake City or  at maple or  at City if Rocks/Castle rocks. Id plan on two geographical locations max and spend your time climbing. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
bus driver wrote:

Note that a lot of people underestimate the drive time between areas and spend more time driving than they'd envisioned.

Yep. My fave is when visitors think they can get from Moab to Zion in 90 minutes and roll into Springdale 6 hrs later.

You guys are too awesome. I appreciate the info! Researching now. 

Jack Crockett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

I would say do a hike/scramble/super chill free solo on the west ridge of Mt. Superior, then do City of Rocks, then go hike around the Sawtooth Range. That would be a pretty nice week.

Jon LostVegan · · SL,UT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

In the middle of the summer, I’ve always made trips to the Uintah Mountains. Great area; nothing extremely long that I’ve been on, but the temps are amazing and can’t beat the wilderness experience. Hikes are 10-30 min in and rarely more than a few people around. (There is lots of shaded walls/crags in the canyons, but everyone is chasing the shade.) second on City of Rocks! Gets pretty crowded that time of year; jump on and reserve a camp spot. But tonsof routes to choose from. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Utah week"
in the Northern Utah & Idaho