Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Destinations Outside of NA

Original Post
narmbrus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Hey everyone. I'm trying to get a climbing trip planned for the entirety of next may and am curious as to everyone's favorite destinations outside of North America as I could use some advice. Keep in mind it will be May so suggestions that would be suitable for that month would be best. I'll be going with a friend so finding a partner is no issue, we both climb up to 5.12 confidently and are not picky as to what type of climbing we'll be doing (Trad or sport, single/multipitch). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 12,604

Since almost any country in the Northern hemisphere has good climbing at that time of year that fits your desires, might as well pick some country or region you prefer to visit for some other reason.

Key question is: Do you plan to rent a car?

Also, how many weeks are you going?

Ken

Mike Grainger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Check out Kalymnos.  If it interests you at all, I can give you lots more beta.  I just spent the month of November climbing there.  The quality and volume of climbing there is hard to beat.  No trad, but a significant amount of multi pitch.

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

"Where should I go on earth?"  

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 540

Switzerland. Home to great food, beautiful scenery and tons of varied climbing: alpine,bigwall,multi-pitch trad and sport, sport cragging, world class bouldering.

The one down side is its expensive.

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55
narmbrus wrote:

Hey everyone. I'm trying to get a climbing trip planned for the entirety of next may and am curious as to everyone's favorite destinations outside of North America as I could use some advice. Keep in mind it will be May so suggestions that would be suitable for that month would be best. I'll be going with a friend so finding a partner is no issue, we both climb up to 5.12 confidently and are not picky as to what type of climbing we'll be doing (Trad or sport, single/multipitch). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hey there, I builtclimbcation.com for these exact types of questions!

Set the season filter to "may" to "may", Move the map to where you might want to go(the map is also a filter), and scroll down to find your options. Also, if you enter in your airport you will get flight prices from now to 2 months out... this probably doesn't help you now, but maybe come march you can get a good idea of where the cheapest place to fly might be.

Climbcation is essentially a wiki style world class climbing destination. I have most of NA filled out and a good chunk of europe as well. Still need to work on south america and africa so if you've got suggestions for world class climbing destinations you can add them to the site by hitting "Submit new location".

As for my personal suggestion... go to rodellar. You guys are going to have a blast at the 5.12 grade. Lots of loooong routes with tufas. When you're bored of pinching tufas all day you can drive over to riglos for some 300m walls of bolted multipitching(go to "Fiesta de los biceps"). I have some super clutch beta for renting cars in spain for like 120 euros a month so let me know if you decide on spain. It gets a bit hot in the summer in spain so most stuff will be going out of season unfortunately; however, rodellar is great in the summer. I was there in august and it was bearable.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climbing Destinations Outside of NA"
in the General Climbing