Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

End of March / up to 5.8 multi pitch trad

Original Post
Daniel the German · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

ok, I'm gonna be lazy here and take advantage of the vast knowledge that exists out there. 

any recommendations for destinations that have a selection of multipitch trad routes up to 5.8 that won't be crazy busy at the end of March. Red Rocks is awesome, but so so so busy at the end March.

Jesse Via · · Oxford, Ohio · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Check out Seneca Rocks in WV, tons of routes 5.8 and under and up to about 250 ft.

Thanks Jesse, I will check that out.

ViperScale . · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240

How far / long are you planning on being out there? Table Rock (linville gorge) NC has a ton of stuff that would fit that description from 250-500ft and a great campsite. 

5 days. Seneca looks almost perfect, but I will check out Table Rock. Thank you.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 525

Careful, Seneca is at relatively high elevation and can still by pretty chilly in March.  Keep your eye on the weather forecasts.

How about Chochise Stronghold?

CS looks awesome too! It could be that with climbing being so popular now it's hard to escape a lot of traffic almost all over. Joshua Tree (I haven't been) can apparently be crazy crazy busy during March. All of your recommendations look good. Thank you again for the input, it's really helping.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The idea that the whole month of March is "too busy" at Red Rock and Joshua Tree is incorrect. Granted, it's spring break, but if you're climbing mid-week and something that's not a five-star classic, you'll be fine. The further from the road, the fewer the crowds.

FrankPS that is great advice. Thanks. 

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 525

I've been to Red Rocks three times in March, all during Spring break.  All three times, we almost completely avoided the crowds by choosing excellent but slightly out-of-the-way climbs.  On one of those trips, we were the only party on Chrimson Chrysalis on a chilly blustery day.  On another chilly day, we were one of two parties on the Black Velvet Wall.  (We had Dream of Wild Turkeys to ourselves.)  The only climb in three visits we did that was crowded was Birdland, and by being the first through the gate at 6 am we were up and almost all the way down before we encountered another party. 

So my experience is that Red Rocks is extensive enough to be fine in March if you are willing to stay off the beaten track.  Get really early starts and climb when it is cloudy and windy and many normally-crowded classics will be free.

Thank you Rgold. My buddy and I kind of did the same thing when we were at Smith Rock this year. I think we need to experience it and always try to get up the earliest.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,605

"Climb harder or hike further" is my general rule of thumb if trying to avoid crowds. For me, that usually means hiking further.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "End of March / up to 5.8 multi pitch trad"
in the General Climbing