Mountain Project Logo

Insurance? Patagonia? Halpme

Original Post
Loganator · · blue van, on the highway to no · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 240

Does anyone have advice for insurance for me? 

I've been living in Chile for a year, and my Obamacare deal will end soon. I plan to come home early April as my funds have finally dwindled to full dirtbag status, but I want to be insured by the US when I get there and open  enrollment ends next week. Because I didn't make any US money this year, I'm getting shafted to medicaid in my state of Nevada... But I have enough assets that I doubt that I will be approved. I can buy an insurance plan through healthcare.gov for 300-500$ per month, starting in January. Is this the rock bottom price these days? I'm terrified to get hurt overseas and a lifeflight home (I'm paying for travel climbing insurance for this) only to have to pay lots of US$ to fix my broken body. Is GoFundMe my only solution? I don't feel like it's my communitys obligation to pay to fix me up just because I want to play in Patagonia... I'm 30 so the under 26 plan with my parents is long gone.

Any ideas let me know. Lying to insurance company is not an option for me as I believe they will see right through any story I have about falling down some stairs or whatever.

Thanks in advance MPers

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

I thought Medicaid was based on income, not assets. Obamacare is.

Loganator · · blue van, on the highway to no · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 240
FrankPS wrote:

I thought Medicaid was based on income, not assets. Obamacare is.

I applied anyways for this a few weeks ago, still pending, perhaps it will be approved (just nervous in case it's not the case)

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 569
Loganator wrote:

Does anyone have advice for insurance for me? 

Because I didn't make any US money this year, I'm getting shafted to medicaid in my state of Nevada... But I have enough assets that I doubt that I will be approved. 

Are you sure about this? 

My understanding in Colorado at least, is that they just look at your income. 

You may not qualify as an able bodied adult or for some other reason. 

I also doubt it offers any coverage outside your home state. 

But if you qualify, you should take it.

It's probably worth trying to contact one of the ACA navigators or brokers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Insurance? Patagonia? Halpme"
in the General Climbing