Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Is it my phone or the site?


Original Post
s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

Did the layout just drastically change or is my phone acting weird?

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Site got weird...not your phone. 

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

Not a fan, same photos I’ve been seeing for years, but bigger. Now I have to scroll down to see the top topics. At least productivity should go up now that I’ve got less reason to check. 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,429

We have a new, mobile-responsive home page.  All the same content is there, just rearranged a bit.

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

I would much rather see the forum above the route finder and my favorites.

Rock and Ice just recently did the same thing. More scrolling to access what use to be a click away. 

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

The forum has got to be the busiest part of this site. Why bury it?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,429

The forum is between 18-22% of our traffic, depending on season and what's hot in the forum.  The vast majority of traffic is the route database.

The home page has to serve many functions, and to users with different goals and experience levels with MP.  For example, we are trying to balance the route database, which is what most newer users want, with the forum, which is very dynamic and deserves good space on the home page, but really only used by a very small percent of users (only around 1.5% of users participate in the forums).

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

I know nothing about developing these things and I am sure a lot of thought and effort goes into doing so. Since starting cancer treatments my phone has become my go to since I spend way too much time away from home.

Thanks for all the hard work Nick and crew. 


mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Nick Wilder wrote:

The forum is between 18-22% of our traffic, depending on season and what's hot in the forum.  The vast majority of traffic is the route database.

The home page has to serve many functions, and to users with different goals and experience levels with MP.  For example, we are trying to balance the route database, which is what most newer users want, with the forum, which is very dynamic and deserves good space on the home page, but really only used by a very small percent of users (only around 1.5% of users participate in the forums).

A better question is--- how active in the forum are the minority of users who actually generate all the content in the route database? They are a key user group you need to keep happy...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Nick Wilder wrote:

We have a new, mobile-responsive home page.  All the same content is there, just rearranged a bit.

I am no longer seeing the additional details of a photo on mouseover.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,429
Marc801 C wrote:

I am no longer seeing the additional details of a photo on mouseover.

Just restored.  Details show up right below the photo now on mouseover.

C Archibolt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 871

It also looks like the criteria to make the homepage Top 20 Classics list has changed. I've never seen Positive Vibrations on that list, although it is absolutely worthy. 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,429
Creed A wrote:

It also looks like the criteria to make the homepage Top 20 Classics list has changed. I've never seen Positive Vibrations on that list, although it is absolutely worthy. 

Nice catch.  There was a bug in the V1 code that sorted the routes correctly but then lopped off the top third (when sorted by difficulty).  The NEW page is correct, as are all area page Classics lists compared to the old Area pages.

The new lists are not as much fun for me since I don't climb in the top third of the difficulty spectrum... which might have something to do with how that bug got into the code in the first place, many years ago!


Isaac Hammonds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I try and click the photos on the front page with my iPhone, but it will not give me any extra information on the photo.

The photos work as they should now. Thanks Nick.

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

My post pointing out a glitch I noticed was removed. Why is that?

Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 4
Isaac Hammonds wrote:

I try and click the photos on the front page with my iPhone, but it will not give me any extra information on the photo.

I too am having this same problem. That was my favorite part about this site an the reason I stare at it for so long .

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,429
Isaac Hammonds wrote:

I try and click the photos on the front page with my iPhone, but it will not give me any extra information on the photo.

I'm pushing out a bug fix for this now - thanks for reporting.

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346
s.price wrote:

My post pointing out a glitch I noticed was removed. Why is that?

Still curious.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 334
s.price wrote:

My post pointing out a glitch I noticed was removed. Why is that?

You're talking about the portrait vs. landscape comment, right? I saw it earlier. This is an example of a post that's disappeared, but I doubt it was deleted by Nick... 

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

You're talking about the portrait vs. landscape comment, right? I saw it earlier. This is an example of a post that's disappeared, but I doubt it was deleted by Nick... 

That's the one. I doubt he deleted it as well. Which makes me really curious.

A post about a glitch taken out by a glitch? Marc had a comment about my post that disappeared as well. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Is it my phone or the site?"
in the Discuss MountainProject.com

Log In to Reply