Mountain Project Logo

Rock Prodigy offering free online program (for folks new to training I think)

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 579

Just visited the RP site and discovered this

https://rockclimberstrainingmanual.com/2017/12/05/training-takeover-8-weeks-to-rock-prodigy-status/

Looks like it's meant for people just starting out training. 

The RP program is typically pretty structured and a good plan for people who can 1) follow it, and 2) listen to their body and avoid overuse injury.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294

I saw it yesterday too. It's an easy, simple to follow program, looks like it would work especially well for a weekend warrior like me. It's very similar to the training plan I built for myself using RPTM as the framework: basically climbing once a week on the weekend, and train during the week. 

It also addresses the often heard criticism of the Rock Prodigy, "I don't get to climb very often!" Although, I never thought it was a valid criticism. The chapter on building a plan kind of addressed this, "Ideally, an individualized Seasonal Training Plan should be sculpted to fit the specific needs of each climber. [...] Select the sample plan that best applies to you, examine it closely, and then make initial adjustments to tailor it to your goals and desires." (p185) However, most people never take this step, they take the sample plan and run with it.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 806

Saw it too!

It looks to be geared at people who are new to training (only 6 HB workouts in the hangboard stage). And is also geared to people who live close enough to rock that they can afford to climb only one day of the weekend. It makes sense, considering that they live in Colorado now. Back when Mike was in Florida, his training plan had a lot more of not-real-rock climbing in the training stage, and accommodations for weekend climbing two days in a row, and longer trips.

It's a good time to start thinking about it for a lot of people, and having a framework really helps. Good to see that they are putting this plan out. 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294
Lena chita wrote:

It's a good time to start thinking about it for a lot of people, and having a framework really helps. Good to see that they are putting this plan out. 

I think that framework is what set RCTM apart from all the other training books before. I have "Performance Rock Climbing", "Self Coached Climber", and I've read the Eric Horst books. They all have great information that you can use to build a training plan from scratch. But for someone with no experience in training, it's pretty hard to build a plan from the ground up. RCTM was the first book to simply give you a training plan, you can either follow it to the letter, or customize it to your own goals. Which I think is what most people need, especially those with no background in training.

It's like building a house. All the other books hand you the wood, nails, drywall, and all the material necessary for a house. For someone who knows what they're doing, they can build a custom home that fits their every single need. But for someone like me with no building experience, I wouldn't know what to do with all that piles of material. RCTM gave me a house with all the frames already done. I can't change the house from a two-story to a three-story, or have the garage be on the other side, but I can still customize it to a certain extend. Wood floor instead of carpet, use this room for a study, etc. That's why to me RCTM was so much more helpful than any other training book to create my own training plan.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 806
aikibujin wrote:

I think that framework is what set RCTM apart from all the other training books before. I have "Performance Rock Climbing", "Self Coached Climber", and I've read the Eric Horst books. They all have great information that you can use to build a training plan from scratch. But for someone with no experience in training, it's pretty hard to build a plan from the ground up. RCTM was the first book to simply give you a training plan, you can either follow it to the letter, or customize it to your own goals. Which I think is what most people need, especially those with no background in training.

That's how I felt, too. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Rock Prodigy offering free online program (for…"