Mountain Project Logo

Alternatives to the Patagonia Atom - 8L sling bag

Original Post
Chris Ritna · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I am looking for a small (~12L) "Sling" style bag for multipitch. Everything about the Atom is great but it is too small.  Want it to be sling style so i can get in the bag without taking it off and small so I can lead with it. The more durable the better. Any suggestions?

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Help out a good  -By a Climber-  start up!

T C · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 1,066
Chris Ritna · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

But I had one AND an atom.  I love the atom for urban use.  the Mago is interesting and inexpensive but it's a little flimsy and really isn't must bigger (6 liters) than the atom, but it is actually designed for climbing so the fit is good.

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 947

Check out the Sling Bag from Topo.

https://www.sportique.com/products/topo-designs-sling-bag-messenger-forest-sunshine?gclid=CjwKCAiApJnRBRBlEiwAPTgmxKZVmJwIZAQntZdA_yjvbZvdDn-VBOQX09m1h7HPiahTX12JcBJjrRoCeawQAvD_BwE

I use one a lot for commuting and just daily carry but I could see it working for climbing as well.

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311

Totems! Wait, what was the OP's question again, nevermind...

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Thanks for the shoutout, Michael.

I've been tinkering with the idea of a sling pack for leading.  I made one based on a roadrunner design that is about the same size as the atom.  

I'm definitely thinking about a more substantial strap design and need to source some EVA foam, I'll get around to it in the Spring.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Alternatives to the Patagonia Atom - 8L sling bag"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.