Mountain Project Logo

GRIVEL master alloy questions

Original Post
Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

1. Does anyone know when they changed their model from optional pommel screw in to the machined in pommel, and spacer for bigger pick from the standard 3mm cut?

2. Where to get the screw on pommel?

3. Machining out the cuts in the shaft, anyone done this or can give me insight on how it would effect strength?

4. How the hell to contact GRIVEL to get a response? Tried their site form request, tried liberty, and tried mountain gear. I know they don't service the US anymore, but wtf... Can't get an answer from anyone at GRIVEL...

5. Where to get standard factory picks. I know kruk. Makes 2 models for the master, but looking for stock ones.

6. A way to add hammer to the axe?

Thanks.

MDimitri . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0
Ice4life wrote:

1. Does anyone know when they changed their model from optional pommel screw in to the machined in pommel, and spacer for bigger pick from the standard 3mm cut?

2. Where to get the screw on pommel?

3. Machining out the cuts in the shaft, anyone done this or can give me insight on how it would effect strength?

4. How the hell to contact GRIVEL to get a response? Tried their site form request, tried liberty, and tried mountain gear. I know they don't service the US anymore, but wtf... Can't get an answer from anyone at GRIVEL...

5. Where to get standard factory picks. I know kruk. Makes 2 models for the master, but looking for stock ones.

6. A way to add hammer to the axe?

Thanks.

MDimitri . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

+39 0165 843714   Italy..... call them.

+8 mountain time.....

MDimitri . wrote:

+39 0165 843714   Italy..... call them.

+8 mountain time.....

Thanks, but I've tried that option, I need an english speaking contact.

Josh Hutch · · State of Jefferson · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 90

At this point it might be easier to just get new tools? 

Theriault · · Quebec, Quebec · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310

Contact Liberty Mountain, they are the North America dealer, as for replacement blades, they don't make em anymore, good luck finding some, if you do, buy the whole lot lol . I get my blades custom made in Poland . Hammer.... no.... Screw for the pommel, go to a fastener shop . 

Zac St. Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,112

Rigging a hammer wouldn't be that tough but if you're gonna go through all that trouble, just bring a hammer. 

Zac Robinson · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 415

All of these items are available here in the US.
http://www.libertymountain.com/products/5552/NTN10037/grivel-blades-and-hammers

Depends on where you are now - if still around SLC, IME can bring them in quickly. Otherwise, just find the right person at your local climbing shop and they can bring it in.

Zac Robinson wrote:

All of these items are available here in the US.
http://www.libertymountain.com/products/5552/NTN10037/grivel-blades-and-hammers

Depends on where you are now - if still around SLC, IME can bring them in quickly. Otherwise, just find the right person at your local climbing shop and they can bring it in.

Liberty mountain can't bring them in and one doesn't have my, I asked Merrill the other day. 

Were they listed on that page? Cause I think most of them have inventory in stock.

If they are not on that page, then you are out of luck.  What specifically did you want?

Zac Robinson wrote:

Were they listed on that page? Cause I think most of them have inventory in stock.

If they are not on that page, then you are out of luck.  What specifically did you want?

The reparto master picks

Might be SOL locally then.  Next best bet would be to scour any European climbing shops online to see if anyone has some they could ship.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,785

So you want to change the pommel, get new picks, add a hammer, and hollow out the shafts.  I'm with Zac - just get a different tool.

Gunkiemike wrote:

So you want to change the pommel, get new picks, add a hammer, and hollow out the shafts.  I'm with Zac - just get a different tool.

No, I want the piece that screws I to the pommel. I want to buy an extra set of factory picks, and see if it's possible to cut the shaft to be able to accept a 3 or 5mm pick. They're fine the way they are, just thinking ahead and looking at possibilities.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "GRIVEL master alloy questions"
in the Ice Climbing