Mountain Project Logo

Yes, another hyalite question...

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm not sure if they'll have hand out maps or what not but just so we have an idea going into it, which ice that is in is gonna have the least traffic? Are there climbs that have longer approaches that keep the crowds away?

Garret Nuzzo-Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,446
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

I'm not sure if they'll have hand out maps or what not but just so we have an idea going into it, which ice that is in is gonna have the least traffic? Are there climbs that have longer approaches that keep the crowds away?

As with all ice festivals, going in with the attitude that you will be sharing routes and space with many other people of varying skill levels will reduce your stress level immensely.

Yes, there are definitely ice climbs with extremely long approaches in Hyalite if you'd like to get further from the crowds.

Mike-Mayhem · · Bozeman. MT · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

If you are looking to get away from crowds stay away from the Mummy, Genesis and unnamed areas. I would bet that if you took a trek out to overlook mountain, you wouldn't see a single person all day other than on the trail. I recommend the climb Land of the Lost, it provides awesome views of Winter dance and is far enough away there wont be crowds. Or hell why not just climb winter dance....

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

Alpine start.

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

And then there's the possibility of avoiding the busiest climbing week of the whole season where everybody is there for the social/mixing scene.

Keenan Waeschle · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

Ice fests are for drinking beer and seeing friends, not climbing ice.

There'll probably be a few parties on Winter Dance and Nutcracker each day. Get up early if you want to do anything.

Gee Dubble · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 3,169

watch out for foot triggered, channelled avalanches

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 157

Head to Flanders or Emerald Lake area. You will most likely still run into people but nowhere near as many. 

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Skibo wrote:

And then there's the possibility of avoiding the busiest climbing week of the whole season where everybody is there for the social/mixing scene.

Oh yea I'm definitely excited about meeting other people that are passionate about the same things I am. But I also don't want to be standing around too much. Just like summer cragging, the community is awesome to be a part, but whereas daylight hours are limited there'll be plenty of opportunity to socialize, but no one wants to stand in line and watch 10 people try to send a route before you get ur chance. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Yes, another hyalite question..."