Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Rainier Partners for unguided ascent - June / July 2018

Original Post
Diana1990 · · Milford, CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hi there!, I'm looking for Mt. Rainier partners for an unguided summit attempt either late June or early July. As far as mountaineering experience goes, big mountains include Mt. Kenya, Cayambe, Chimborazo (~6,300meter). These have all been guided ascents, over glacier terrain, but I'm looking to broaden my experience in general. I'm based out of the Northeast and plan to spend the winter training in the White Mountains and take additional skills classes like cravasse rescue technique. In general I'm very fit, run marathons regularly, and hike all year. Is there's any interest, please post here!

Michael W · · Oklahoma City, OK · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I too am planning an unguided ascent for 2018. Date is not yet known. I have a few friends I am awaiting reply from, but am doubtful of their participation. I will stay tuned to this topic. I also run marathons (Little Rock Marathon in March and Oklahoma City Marathon in April). I have numerous summits of 14ers in Colorado and backpacking trips throughout the US. Had an unsuccessful attempt of Rainier in late Sept. 2017 with RMI guides. Climbing season was long, but first major storm hit on our day 1 climb to Muir.  What route are you planning to climb?

Mountain Enthusiast · · Ashburn, VA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

I am from Virginia and planning to hike Mt. Rainier in June/July timeframe. My friend from Michigan is also going to join. We have done half dome and Mt Whitney. We are doing Mt Washington in February. We plan to get the RMI course few days before Mt Rainier hike so we would be fully prepared. We would like to have some company as it’s safer to be in group in glacial hikes. Keep us in loop if you are interested.

Dylan Bistany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hello All,

I was looking into hiking one (or more) of the peaks in the cascades this summer. I was not interested in a guided expedition for several reasons. That being said I value being in a group on a peak like rainier.

I am 21 years of age and I spend almost all my weekends outdoors in NH and more generally New England. The only experience that is comparable would be my winter hikes in presidential to what we would experience on rainier. This year I am trying to transition from hiking to more of climbing (I.e rock and ice climbing). Among other exciting things, I will be taking glacier travel and crevasse rescue courses in April taught by AMC NH, and I also have certified this year with my Wilderness First Responder (WFR).

I would love to join a group this summer (I am leaning more towards July). As I mentioned before I have no bias towards the mountain. I was also considering trying multiple other peaks as opposed to a multi day trip like rainier.

Brent B · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

I would be down to join. I climbed Rainier guided via the DC route last year. That's my only real 'alpine climb'. If there's someone that's competent to lead the rope team, I would be down to join. I'm not ready to lead the rope team, but I am confident to be a solid rope team member.

Ibra Cetindemir · · Williston, North Dakota · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

I will be taking a few friends up the DC sometime in early July. I'll be climbing in Alaska most of June and will do Rainier as soon as I am done there.Hit me up if you guys wanna tag along. 

Gina Badescu · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I’m interested. I’ll be returning from an expedition in June 3 and would love to have a small group and go up Rainier in june/July. I’ll follow the post.

Brandon Castillo · · Lexington, KY · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I would also be interested if possible. I don't have any real glacier experience but would love to learn. I run marathons, backpack, and climbing half domes on the cables is probably the closest thing I've done to this. If you all are willing to take a newbie let me know!

John Roark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I can not wait to hear the trip report from this catastrophe... 

Zach Parsons · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 100
John Roark wrote:

I can not wait to hear the trip report from this catastrophe... 

Following for this.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mt. Rainier Partners for unguided ascent - June…"
in the Pacific Northwest Partners