Mountain Project Logo

Firefly: New way to bail without leaving gear

Original Post
Thomas Chapman · · Sewanee, TN · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1902167602/the-firefly-recover-your-lost-climbing-gear

Super cool product. I'm not endorsed, just sharing a cool thing

Sandy Crimp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15

This silly item has been discussed on here MANY times.  Bail-biners are cheaper, safer and lighter.  This is a solution looking for a problem.  Just don't forget that 200ft of paracord....

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Anyone else find it odd that all the hangers they use for testing are at a 45 degree angel even though most hangers you see outside are not?

Sandy Crimp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15

I find it more odd that people would pay $35 and have to pack around this thing and the 50ft cord it comes with...only to save $4 when they have to bail in the first 25ft of a climb (any higher and the 50ft cord is too short).   Due to that, the real cost is $35 for the trinket and another $15 for 200ft of paracord...so $50.  Thats like 12 bail biners!

I am going to start making newb harnesses that have dozens of "extra special" gear loops so they can hang all the new must have trinkets like this on them!  I'll make out of kevlar and charge $800 each...I'll be rich!

Skye Swoboda-Colberg · · Laradise, Dornans, Bham, Cr… · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 115
Cron · · Kittery, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

Can't believe the Kickstarter is funded. A sucker is born every minute. 

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

That video could almost be a parody, complete with “when I moved to Utah.” I admire the creator’s engineering skills but yeah... Not exactly reminiscent of Ray Jardine. Caters too much to the straight-from-the-gym crowd. 

Edit: I realize the general shitting-upon has gotta be hard for the engineer behind it. Sorry, dude. I guess we’re a tough crowd. Keep the stoke up! A partner of mine is searching for the perfect left-handed assisted-braking device...

Slartibartfast · · Magrathea · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Jimmy Downhillinthesnow wrote:

Caters too much to the straight-from-the-gym crowd. 

I guess that's a pretty big crowd.

Warrior · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310
Thomas Chapman wrote:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1902167602/the-firefly-recover-your-lost-climbing-gear

Super cool product. I'm not endorsed, just sharing a cool thing

JMO but this is a product that encourages bailing off one bolt....

That is among the worst practices for climbing. Again, JMO.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,734

Another thing worth mentioning- besides all the notable objections:  It looks like it only works on a solid gate biner.  I use wiregates as do at least half the people I know.

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

3rd thread I've seen about this. And OP was stoked, sorry to send flak but this thing is embarrassing. ...like I pretty much said before...if you can afford this and not a bail biner what are you doing with ur life? Will only be cost effective(not to mention effort effective) if your bailing on like seriously more routes above your grade than you can justify attempting....but if you havent seen the opinions yet and a peppy little startup video gets your jimmys a-rustlin than you might be inclined to buy one or hell, even start a thread about it.. If u can buy brand new lockers locally for 4$ like I... You'd have to be bailing a shit ton to make this remotely worth while. That's just the money aspect. Not safety, or weight/effort.

Matt Robinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Seems to me like it would be lighter to just take the string with you.  When you get stuck just lower the string down, have someone tie the stickclip to it (yes, you have a stickclip if you are considering purchasing this), and then stick clip your way up the route.

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Matt Robinson wrote:

Seems to me like it would be lighter to just take the string with you.  When you get stuck just lower the string down, have someone tie the stickclip to it (yes, you have a stickclip if you are considering purchasing this), and then stick clip your way up the route.

Bahahha!

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

The only way this would be worth getting is if it cost under 15$ and didn't require any extra string to pull it down. Find a way to do that and people would maybe carry around a small extra device to use. I have found enough bail gear over the years that I would have to bail like 20 times to pay for this and I have never had to bail half that many times. Alot of sport crags you can just walk to the top / climb another route and rappel off the trees etc.

md3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 45

Might have some utility as a lighter alternative to a tag line for long raps. 

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 65

How often must one bail to make something like this even remotely viable? wow...

sapiecha Sapiecha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 140
Ryan Maitland wrote:

How often must one bail to make something like this even remotely viable? wow...

It will pay for itself in only 15-20 years. But really, we should hope by then most climbers have moved on from the self-gratifying pursuit of sport climbing anyways.

I honestly cannot believe how many times in the past 2 weeks I've had to argue against this product... I am truly baffled that anyone (hundreds of backers) thinks this is anything other than a joke of a product. 

The only good news here.... make almost anything.... ANY climbing product, no matter of it's actual utility, and be certain of meeting your funding goal. 

Except the Gumball biner... that didn't go anywhere, right??

SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

I just bought a more bail biners than I can use in a lifetime, unless I start climbing REALLY above my pay grade. Maybe I'll set up a Kickstarter for a new subscription service where I mail people a new bail biner once a season.

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 1,686

Friendly reminder for folks taking leaver carabiners sport climbing:  With a little knowledge and one of these: https://www.rockandsnow.com/75811/superclip/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgZTRBRDmARIsAJvVWAv9_lEu4CtEtTJ6cCdFwefCVSS8cPMXkjmIZsUGVF9W4zbf2WuzTDoaAu6ZEALw_wcB you'll rarely (if ever) have to leave a bail carabiner or bail from a single bolt.  But yes, you do have to sport climb with a stick clip for this to work.  

Max Tepfer wrote:

Friendly reminder for folks taking leaver carabiners sport climbing:  With a little knowledge and one of these: https://www.rockandsnow.com/75811/superclip/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgZTRBRDmARIsAJvVWAv9_lEu4CtEtTJ6cCdFwefCVSS8cPMXkjmIZsUGVF9W4zbf2WuzTDoaAu6ZEALw_wcB you'll rarely (if ever) have to leave a bail carabiner or bail from a single bolt.  But yes, you do have to sport climb with a stick clip for this to work.  

Sometimes you're just lazy/tired or the sun is going down, so I can see why someone would bail off of one junk leaver biner and not bother hauling up a stick clip. And using a prussik means you're not actually bailing off of one bolt, always 2.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Firefly: New way to bail without leaving gear"