Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Tacoma bed builds. Let’s see em!

Original Post
Zach Raney · · Leadville, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Looking to build out the bed of my new Tacoma. I’d love to see photos of yours, materials used and cost. 

Thanks!

Chris treggE · · Madison, Beersconsin · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,526

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113886384/question-bed-platform-for-3rd-gen-tacoma

Another thread on this a couple weeks ago.  Photos towards the bottom are mine, cost about $60.  An hour to build.  Biggest pain of the project was finding 2x4's in Menards' lumber yard that were of decent quality.  

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 7,470

Decked now does a really good system for Tacoma.  See...

https://decked.com/pages/midsize

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,435

Not a Taco but this was easy to make.

Kujawski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 81

Not exactly a build but I've been going with this setup out of my 01 sr5. Switched from a platform because it was just uncomfortable crawling in and out of. I just throw all my climbing gear in the front which also makes it harder for someone to break in and steal anything. Super cozy and you have a lot of space and room to hang out and move around it. About 90$ for both the sleeping pads!

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Man, I looked at the Decked stuff at Topper Town, and it looks awesome...BUT, the system ran close to 2k. I ended up building a functionally similar platform with a large drawer for about 50 bucks in an afternoon. And, I am definitely no carpenter. 

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

T. Brumme · · denver, co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 255
Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

Platform built with about $60.00, most expensive piece was plywood.  Just did a box frame with 4x4 as corners and 2x8's connection length, 2x4's connecting width, and one 2x8 laid flat running width in center.

Has a full size mattress FREE from KSL (craigslist for SLC)

Yeti 1250 power supply to run laptop, charge phone, etc... traded some stuff for it and recharge at work, need to buy a solar panel for it soon so I don't have to lug it out all the time...

BD apollo hanging in corner $10.00 on KSL

Reflectix roll split with friend, cost a few beers

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

We have a short bed, and my hubby is 6'3". So...

Big drawer that our misc stuff goes in (mostly fishing). We've since added some small dividers but the back is mostly open, we store the coleman stove, camp chairs, camp table in there. When the drawer is about 2/3 open, that spare piece you see there sets across the drawer to complete the bed. 

We then complete the package with this specialty tent, which I lovingly call our Truck Condom.

We don't actually sleep in it that often, but simply having the extra organization in the back on day trips is amazing. Other accessories include a chain of Goal Zero lights run off of the GZ Yeti power supply. No mattress, we just do sleeping pads and bags.

These are great, topper comes in this week and I’ll be getting to work 

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 845

Built a lightweight frame out of plywood, and made drawer slides out of 1" square tubing and skateboard bearings  

Fully deployed, with a queen 5" memory foam mattress. 

Chris treggE wrote:

It might be easier to build before you put the topper on.  

This is probably true 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Tacoma bed builds. Let’s see em!"
in the Community Forum