Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Watertown Climbing Community?

Original Post
Joe Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I am relocating this winter to Watertown, NY from Washington state. It appears that there are no winter training facilities (climbing walls, bouldering gyms) in the local area. I saw Kingston has a bouldering coop. I am curious if the Watertown climbing community could support a bouldering coop. I am not looking to make money but also don't want to be the only person in the coop. Can anyone comment on the climbing community in the greater Watertown area?

Chris Richards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

You went to the wrong Watertown. There is an awesome climbing gym here in Watertown, MA.

Kevin MP · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 387

I can't help much with your question but I'm from Watertown and as soon as I found climbing I got the heck out. You'll have to be real motivated to stay active climbing there, and hopefully have lots of time for trips.

-I see there is a new gym opening in Syracuse, a little over an hour away, that should be pretty nice and maybe your best option.

-If I ever moved back there I would get into ice climbing. The season is probably almost as long as for rock and there's plenty of water around that freezes. ***Big new route potential in Inman Gulf ( between Barnes Corners and Rodman, you'll want XC skis or snowshoes to access) Also, if the city of Ithaca ever allows ice climbing that will be a world-class destination two and half hours away.

-If I lived that far from a gym or year-round rock I would probably go big and build a woody, assuming you have the space and resources (Build it and they will come...?) Climate control will be important, as winters are freezing and summers are humid AF.

Good luck, seriously. The Dacks are very cool if you can deal with the moss/mud/bugs etc, more adventure for your buck than the average climbing area.

Oliver Newton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
Joe Johnson wrote:

I am relocating this winter to Watertown, NY from Washington state. It appears that there are no winter training facilities (climbing walls, bouldering gyms) in the local area. I saw Kingston has a bouldering coop. I am curious if the Watertown climbing community could support a bouldering coop. I am not looking to make money but also don't want to be the only person in the coop. Can anyone comment on the climbing community in the greater Watertown area?

I’m here with you looking for a mentor and some places to climb. The outdoor adventures shop near public square has a wall but due to legal issues he doesn’t open it up. He’s an older gentleman that runs it and has lead a few climbing trips back in the day but doesn’t anymore. He has some locations but few and far between. I have been selection weekend trips to state parks map reconnaissance for varying terrain and soil composition. Then I just take my day pack and hike around till I find something and if nothing shows I at least got a good hike in. 

PM me if you’re interested in starting this coop. 

NYclimber085 Rad · · Syracuse NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10

Eagle falls in the Adirondacks is your local climbing spot. Excellent 100 foot routes.

Kennedy Quigg · · Watertown, NY · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I'm in Watertown too, hard to keep consistent climbing here like Kevin mentioned above. I regularly head to kingston to climb/top rope at the Boiler Room if anyone wants to carpool/share gas. Also looking to make some outdoor trips this summer in to the Daks as I regularly hike/camp there. If a coop was ever started you can count on me as a regular customer!!! Watertown has a lot of potential and I would love to do anything I can to help bring climbing into this community.

Cody Nichols · · Parish, NY · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Hey Folks,
I'm also from the Watertown area. I'm currently giving my business to the Syracuse gyms, but if a place ever opened up in Watertown or if people wanted/needed help getting one started I'd be interested in lending a hand. It'd be great to have a place to swing by during the week after work. The community here is small and the few of us that do end up climbing have to be dedicated, or otherwise willing to drive a ways. That being said, it's not like there isn't any rock nearby and it's better than living in Western NY if you're looking to get outside. Besides having the Adirondacks within a few hours drive, there is also undeveloped rock to be found along many of the Indian River Lakes, as well as a few spots along the Lake Ontario/ St. Lawrence River shoreline that might have some worth. Payne Lake outside of Theresa is currently being developed and that's about 45 min from town. I've climbed there, its a nice spot, you all should check it out. If anyone wants to get together and climb there, or in the area, let me know!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Watertown Climbing Community?"
in the Northeastern States