Mountain Project Logo

Dislocated shoulder

Original Post
wyatt peake · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I Dislocated my shoulder last Wednesday on a Boulder problem. some V6 that had a large throw out right. I had done the problem a few times before but this last time I guess I just weighted my arm wrong and that’s all it took... anyways does anyone have any advice on recovery that has experienced a simalar injury? I’m gojng to talk to a Ortho surgeon on Monday to see how badly my ligaments are torn. 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hella threads on shoulder injuries so search the forums. Injuries suck ass, but you are not alone. Shoulders are very complex so there are many different ways to injure them. But there is one common piece of advice. Do. Your. PT. Get a perscription for PT from your Ortho guy and do it. Every. Day. You will likely need to do shoulder strengthening exercises for the rest of your life. But fear not, most people climb a couple months after shoulder injuries.

Logan Anderson · · Central ND · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 155

Make sure your rotator cuff and labrum are not damaged as well, or your shoulder might dislocate at will. I speak from experience lol.

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,360

Wyatt - Messaging you to wish you a speedy recovery, you'll be out crushing in no time! 

Suggestion: Record your conversation with your Doctor on your smartphone and put it in your pocket. That helped me garner very important information after my appointments when I was on a lot of meds (memory loss) from a climbing injury. Or if you are a forgetful person or have "white lab syndrome"

wyatt peake · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the advice all! 

I just got back from the doctors today, from what I remember them telling me is that I have Axillary nerve damage which is no big deal. They don’t think my rotator cuff is torn. So it looks like a month in my sling then physical therapy. Unfortunately my insurance is through the VA, while I’m thankful to have it they do seem to like to cut corners. So as for the labrum damage that will most likely lead to it popping out again, they won’t repair it unless it goes out again. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Dislocated shoulder "
in the Injuries and Accidents