Mountain Project Logo

So you think you can mantle? Watch this little guy

Original Post
Bill Moser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 25

He (or she) may not be a well-known climber, or even human, but this deserves a round of applause.  I'm not sure what the dude's motivation was.  The thrill of the ascent?  Maybe a treat at the end?  Who knows, but my hat's off....

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Bill Moser wrote:

He (or she) may not be a well-known climber, or even human, but this deserves a round of applause.  I'm not sure what the dude's motivation was.  The thrill of the ascent?  Maybe a treat at the end?  Who knows, but my hat's off....

That whole entire climb is in ledge fall territory.  5.10 R/X.

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 443

Headphone warning!

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,068

Simply amazing considering he got a -2 ape index.

Or does that help him mantle?

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
rocknice2 wrote:

Simply amazing considering he got a -2 ape index.

Or does that help him mantle?

Negative ape helps you mantle in most cases. I have a -4 and can mantle better than most of my friends. (unless there is a big jug they can reach at the top to pull up on, but than that is kinda bypassing the mantle due to reach)

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hands reaching up for each ledge look freakishly human. Maybe we don't hail from monkeys after all, but the great hamster instead

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 806

I think I got a link to that video from at least 7 or 8 friends... I have no idea why they thought of me when they saw that video... :)

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,985

Fun video to watch, thanks Bill. 

Does anyone know of the human-scale version of that route? It looks like it could be a fun route, even if artificial.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 793
Jon Nelson wrote:

Does anyone know of the human-scale version of that route? It looks like it could be a fun route, even if artificial.

I have no idea what route, but as the little guy sports claws on all digits, I would humbly submit ice/mixed on solo as the equivalent style.

Then there's also the teeth, so dude or dudette could make their own "holds", bivy ledges...hmmmm. 

I'm totally outclassed, methinks. :-/

Best, OLH

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Lena chita wrote:

I think I got a link to that video from at least 7 or 8 friends... I have no idea why they thought of me when they saw that video... :)

Cuz Lena chita is Peruvian for agile hamster

Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 145

Reminds me of Squawstruck. 

Thrutch · · Riverside, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 2,019
Jon Nelson wrote:

There's a route called Mantle Marathon at our local crag that is similar. The recurring potential to deck at every mantle makes the bolts seem somewhat less useful.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105906823/mantle-marathon

Samuel Andree · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 55

Manteleer! RRG 

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 128
Jon Nelson wrote:

Most of the 5.3s in the Gunks are basically this.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "So you think you can mantle? Watch this little…"