Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Hyalite canyon camping

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Buddy and I are going to hyalite for the ice festival. Do any locals know if we can get away with sleeping in the truck in the parking lot or pitching a teepee somewhere off to the side of the lot? Trying to forego driving back into bozeman everyday and paying high dollar for a hotel

Keatan · · MT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50

Not sure of the legality of it, but it's not uncommon to see people truck camping in the Main Fork lot or the Reservoir lot. You probably won't be the only ones doing it.

Perfect. That's what I want to kno

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

I don't think that's a great idea for Ice Fest weekend.  Isn't there a shuttle service for the festival to help avoid the drive? That is the busiest Hyalite weekend of the year and the trailhead lot will be overflowing with vehicles.  Remember that maintaining access is everyone's responsibility, so if you do camp at the trailhead, do it in your truck and keep a low profile. No fires.

I got a great Air BnB in Bozeman two weeks ago for much cheaper than the area hotels/motels would charge.

Nick Sweeney wrote:

I don't think that's a great idea for Ice Fest weekend.  Isn't there a shuttle service for the festival to help avoid the drive? That is the busiest Hyalite weekend of the year and the trailhead lot will be overflowing with vehicles.  Remember that maintaining access is everyone's responsibility, so if you do camp at the trailhead, do it in your truck and keep a low profile. No fires.

I got a great Air BnB in Bozeman two weeks ago for much cheaper than the area hotels/motels would charge.

Lemme sleep in ur bed. Ill be whichever spoon you want me to be

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Lemme sleep in ur bed. Ill be whichever spoon you want me to be

Haha, I mean I stayed in the Air BnB two weeks ago, doing the first ice trip of the season! I won't be at BIF, but I wish I was going!

Nick Sweeney wrote:

Haha, I mean I stayed in the Air BnB two weeks ago, doing the first ice trip of the season! I won't be at BIF, but I wish I was going!

I'm in CDA 20 minutes from you. Come along

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

I'm in CDA 20 minutes from you. Come along

Thanks for the invite but I'm sitting this one out! Enjoy it

jlind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 31

I have slept in my truck a lot in hyalite.   Consider the east fork parking lot during ice fest.   A little easier to deal with.   Not illegal.   

jlind wrote:

I have slept in my truck a lot in hyalite.   Consider the east fork parking lot during ice fest.   A little easier to deal with.   Not illegal.   

Thanks a ton! Hyalite will be new ground so until I'm familiar its great to have you resources

Mike-Mayhem · · Bozeman. MT · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

I dont see any reason why it would restrict access if you slept in your car in the main fork parking lot.. I say go for it!

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6

They set up a bunch of new rules on Hyalite road in fall '16.  Stick to the designated 'dispersed camping' areas.  

Parking lot at the end of the valley would probably be fine, but its super simple to just drive to one of the 'right' places and not worry about getting woken up.

jlind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 31

The parking lot at the end of the road is a pita during icefest.  

Not sure what a pita is but I'm gonna assume u mean crowded

Abbreviations should be capitalized

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Abbreviations should be capitalized

But that wasn't an abbreviation. It was an acronym.

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85
Paul Morrison wrote:

But that wasn't an abbreviation. It was an acronym.

Acronyms should be correctly punctuated as each letter is technically an abbreviation.  

There are lots of places to responsibly park/camp in the Bozeman area.  Don't be lazy.  

There are lots of places to responsibly park/camp in the Bozeman area.  Don't be lazy.  

Give examples. Don't be lazy

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

I made a 1 minute phone call to the Forest Service office in Bozeman to make sure I wasn't giving bad info.  You are not allowed to camp at any trailhead.  All campgrounds are fair game, but do not block the gate.  Langhor Campground does not have a gate, so as long as you can get your vehicle in and out, it's fair game.  There are no services, so pick up after yourself.  

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6

Don't go all the way down a Langhor, you're basically in Bozeman at that point. There are lots of "dispersed camping" sites along the road take one of those.  They have a little brown marker should be easy enough to see.

Word. Thanks guys

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Hyalite canyon camping"
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas