Mountain Project Logo

Recommendation and WTB: Guide book for Tuscon area

Original Post
Varun Ramesh · · bellingham, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

Wife and I are travelling to Tuscon in Feb to find some rocks. Any recommended guide books? If you have a copy you are looking to get rid of, I'll be happy to buy it off of you.

Varun

www.cochiseclimbing.com · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 145

I may be a little biased but I think the Cochise Stronghold has the best climbing in the area in February. If you are looking for granite like Joshua Tree but tall 600' domes check it out.  I just published the guidebooks this year containing almost 1000 routes. Especially lots of the moderate multipitches. Check it outcochiseclimbing@gmail.com

Justin Headley · · Tucson · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 346

Summit Hut is a local outdoor store that sells the guidebooks for the area. Squeezing the Lemmon is the guidebook for Mount Lemmon, which is just north of Tucson. Mostly single-pitch, and about 70% sport / 30% trad. There are 2 different guidebook authors for the Cochise area. One is mentioned by user cochiseclimbing, and the other is this http://www.toofasttopos.com/. If you're a solid trad multi pitch climber, I would definitely recommend you spend the majority of your time in the Cochise Stronghold. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Recommendation and WTB: Guide book for Tuscon area"