Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Bears Ears to be cut by 85%

Original Post
Life Guard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,644

I wrote letters and signed every petition available.  I encouraged every person I know to do the same.  This is what happens when you live in an oligarchy with 40% of the population that is uneducated and ignorantly embraces archaic ideology.

Jordan Gans · · Laramie, WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 25

Is the creation of the IC National Monument an attempt to appease our user group in the hopes that we lose our drive to fight the rest of these massive changes?

Taylor Spiegelberg · · Lander & Sheridan, WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,170

The Deseret link has good maps of the proposed breakup. Does anyone know how to overlay maps like those onto Google Earth to see what we're going to lose? 

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Jake Jones wrote:

I wrote letters and signed every petition available.  I encouraged every person I know to do the same.  This is what happens when you live in an oligarchy with 40% of the population that is uneducated and ignorantly embraces archaic ideology.

Let’s not forget the majority of the population that works a 40+ hour/week job they don’t like for a new car every three years that they drive 42 minutes each way to that job so they live in a 400 sq ft bigger house.Everyone’s gotta buy $10 Old Navy jeans for their 2.5 kids. It’s all worth it so’s they can brag to people that don’t care about them they headed to the beach or did a cruise for a week. They would rather watch a 65” TV than read a book. Most people don’t have time to educate themselves and when they do it’s watching TMZ or YouTube.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,673
Bill Kirby wrote:

Let’s not forget the majority of the population that works a 40+ hour/week job they don’t like for a new car every three years that they drive 42 minutes each way to that job so they live in a 400 sq ft bigger house.Everyone’s gotta buy $10 Old Navy jeans for their 2.5 kids. It’s all worth it so’s they can brag to people that don’t care about them they headed to the beach or did a cruise for a week. They would rather watch a 65” TV than read a book. Most people don’t have time to educate themselves and when they do it’s watching TMZ or YouTube.

and have no idea why a few bears ears are being stored in Utah and why they're so important to the tree hugging millennials.  

Steve Williams · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

This will not occur, at least for a while.  It will be litigated, probably all the way to the Supreme Court.  

Get your popcorn out. . . 

Sean Nelb · · Indian Creek · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 395

The maps from Deseret News of the proposed Indian Creek National Monument show all of the climbing in Indian Creek being included except for the Hart's Draw section (north of The Wall/Cliffs of Insanity). What we'll lose is hard to predict at this point; the proposed alterations are sure to go through a court battle since the Antiquities Act doesn't address the ability of a president to shrink a monument. Also, losing monument status doesn't necessarily mean loss of access to climbing or loss of protections to archaeological resources: it's still federal land. More steps would have to be taken to transfer or lease the land to private interests, which definitely could restrict access or imperil cultural sites.

Troyswank · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

all must form in moab

frank bonnevie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 86

see what happens when you don't vote!

frank bonnevie wrote:

see what happens when you don't vote!

See what happens when Hillary Clinton buys the DNC?

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

We should probably start stocking all bivy locations and campgrounds ...errr bunkers with rations and tools of defense. 

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 489
Sean Nelb wrote:

Also, losing monument status doesn't necessarily mean loss of access to climbing or loss of protections to archaeological resources: it's still federal land. More steps would have to be taken to transfer or lease the land to private interests, which definitely could restrict access or imperil cultural sites.

Ideally yes, but the Dep of Interior has ordered federal land agencies to cut back restrictions and regulations and other process in order to fast-track energy development which means they may or may not be protected under the federal gov, especially BLM.

Bill Kirby wrote:

Amen to that.  Except that I do that too- except for the Old Navy part and the 65" TV.  I work on average about 50 hours per week with two jobs and I'm a full time dad.  So that's really not an excuse.  Generally speaking, I'm lazy af and I have time to be at least marginally educated.  I think the ideology part of it is the bigger problem but is greatly exacerbated when combined with the lack of education.  

Jake Jones wrote:

Amen to that.  Except that I do that too- except for the Old Navy part and the 65" TV.  I work on average about 50 hours per week with two jobs and I'm a full time dad.  So that's really not an excuse.  Generally speaking, I'm lazy af and I have time to be at least marginally educated.  I think the ideology part of it is the bigger problem but is greatly exacerbated when combined with the lack of education.  

You work 50 hours for stuff you don’t need? Live further away from work for a bigger house? There’s plenty guys and gals I know that work 40+ hours/week but save it for when it counts. I think you’re the latter but could be wrong. I only know you from what you write. They have kids just because someone tells them that’s the right thing to do, just like a 65” TV. Then they work they lives away trying to pay for all their “stuff”.

I agree with the ideology part. Political, consumer, religious all plays its part. Yea people just don’t care to find out what could make them happy so they go with the easiest.

Bill Kirby wrote:

You work 50 hours for stuff you don’t need? 

Hell no.  Unless you count all that nice gear.  But I try to whip on it as much as possible to justify it.

Chris Haines · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

This makes me sad. As someone who lives in Utah, most people around me have never been to the Bears Ears or Grand Staircase region, let alone could tell you where most of it is on the map. And many people I've talked to are sure that the feds stole this land from them and will be getting it back very soon thanks to our bought out Senator Hatch. 

Jake Jones wrote:

Hell no.  Unless you count all that nice gear.  But I try to whip on it as much as possible to justify it.

Wow... I got to have that one handy to get outta the house instead of honey dos.

Bryan Gilmore · · FLG, AZ · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 1,225
Bill Kirby wrote:

See what happens when Hillary Clinton buys the DNC?

didn't she buy it after she clinched the nomination, and therefore having bought it... ah, never mind. 

Steve Skarvinko · · SLC, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 25
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Bears Ears to be cut by 85%"
in the Southern Utah Deserts