Mountain Project Logo

Donating to Chris McNamara?

Original Post
Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Does anyone know if he has a paypal donation page setup?  I've been watching alot of his videos lately as I'm just starting my journey into aid (literally just got aiders, daisies and scenders this week) in hopes of someday doing El Cap and just realized that his How to Big Wall Climb book is now apparently a free PDF and I almost feel guilty not paying some kind of respects to him for the hard work he's done.

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Skye Swoboda-Colberg · · Laramie, Wyoming · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 115
Everett · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

AndrewArroz wrote:

Use the email there to say thanks. Turns out he's human and responds.

Timothy Carlson · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

AndrewArroz wrote:

Also founded OutdoorGearLab, meaning that he's probably already loaded. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

You could always just buy his book.  Also, being loaded doesn’t mean he couldn’t use more funds, as running these websites has to be expensive.

Señor Arroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Timothy Carlson wrote:

Also founded OutdoorGearLab, meaning that he's probably already loaded. 

It's a big assumption that founding a gear review site = loaded. 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

Make sure you're looking at other sources as well as I think you'll find that McNamara's bigwall instruction videos and texts are very specifically tailored to dudes who climb bigwalls exactly like Chris and have body types exactly like Chris and goals exactly like Chris. 

Will P. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Chris runs the American Safe Climbing Association. A 501(C)(3) charity for bolt replacement. Not really a donation "to chris", but you should donate anyway......... http://www.safeclimbing.org

drewp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 135

kevin deweese wrote:

Make sure you're looking at other sources as well as I think you'll find that McNamara's bigwall instruction videos and texts are very specifically tailored to dudes who climb bigwalls exactly like Chris and have body types exactly like Chris and goals exactly like Chris. 

Curious to hear more about what you mean about the body types comment. You mean like he's tall?

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

drewp wrote:

Curious to hear more about what you mean about the body types comment. You mean like he's tall?

Height and strength

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 215

kevin deweese wrote:

Height and strength

And hair style. 

jg fox · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

kevin deweese wrote:

What do you mean by goals?

Mydans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 70

Chris is a class act.  He has done a lot for the bigwall community in Yosemite. I would (and have) bought his guidebooks and will continue to do so.  Chris stands by the highest ethics of clean climbing and anchor replacement (unlike his guidebook competitor) and I would much rather support him than the other bigwall book option in the valley.  He definitely emphasizes fast and as light as possible which isn't how I generally climb walls but he knows his sh*t fo sure.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 215

Mydans wrote:

Chris is a class act.  He has done a lot for the bigwall community in Yosemite. I would (and have) bought his guidebooks and will continue to do so.  Chris stands by the highest ethics of clean climbing and anchor replacement (unlike his guidebook competitor) and I would much rather support him than the other bigwall book option in the valley.  He definitely emphasizes fast and as light as possible which isn't how I generally climb walls but he knows his sh*t fo sure.

Erik may not have the best self control when bolting but his Big Wall guide is way better than CMacs.   CMac guide are kind of a Yosemite select guide and not very up to date or extensive.   I'll keep buying Cmacs guides but they are hard to compare to Erik's.

Mydans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 70

Sloans bigwall book is mostly just a ripoff of the supertopo and while I kind of agree the supertopo book is a "select"  if you've run out of routes to do in the supertopo You've probably got 30+ accents of the Captain at that point.  Sloan is a hack and has decided he gets to dictate what happens in the valley regardless of the multitudes of people who have called him out for sh*tty ethics.  I won't be supporting him by buying his book.  He changes the character of established routes but dumbing them down with convenience bolts and adding rap stations that don't need to be there.  

Yosoymilk · · Bellingham · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

One thing I noticed after climbing a few routes in the valley; a bunch of CMAC's topo overlays (route lines drawn over actual pictures) are off by entire pitches. A few of his pitch lengths are ludicrous as well. I'm not trying to light him up, he has done right by mostly everyone's ethical standards (can't say the same about Sloan). Just take his route guides with a grain of salt; besides we shouldn't be so dependent on topos anyways. I actually find amusing when a topo is absurdly off. Keeps it adventurous and makes for unforeseen problems, which is arguably a cornerstone of wall climbing. Donate to the ASCA.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Donating to Chris McNamara?"
in the Big Wall and Aid Climbing