Mountain Project Logo

1 bedroom house in Ridgway for rent -January

Foster Conklin · · Norwood, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

You can't take your own, limited experience in renting long term to poor people and use that to make pass judgement about how low income people live their lives. Not only is it rude, you are directly leading to the shortage of affordable housing that people are talking about above

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

I am not passing judgement just experience. I have no obligation to provide low income housing. And when I have it has bit me in the ass. That doesn't reflect on all low income households it is just my experience.

Contrary to your belief I can take my experience and do what I will with it. That's America bro.

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,470
s.price wrote:

Booked solid for 6 months at 1k per week is 24k.

I bought years ago when land and homes were cheap. That's how I got into it. 

Are you suggesting, sir, that there are not 180 weeks in six months?

caughtinside wrote:

Are you suggesting, sir, that there are not 180 weeks in six months?

Something like that.

Christian George · · Ridgway CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Supply and demand drives prices, not what someone wishes the price was. 

A seller can ask any price he wishes, and buyers are free to accept that, negotiate it, or pass on by. That is the free market. 

If someone thinks the price is too high and passes on the deal, why do they get upset when others feel the price is reasonable and purchase the item? What business is it of theirs?

Airbnb is not hurting this community, it is helping it. The hotels are still full. And shift workers couldn’t have afforded these places anyway. 

There is work to Airbnb-ing your place. You have to move your stuff out, clean the place like the pope is coming, check them in, check them out, answer 57 questions, fix what they break, miss what they steal, mail back forgotten items...

Don’t assume you know what a path is like unless you have walked it yourself. 

Christian George · · Ridgway CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Foster Conklin wrote:

You can't take your own, limited experience in renting long term to poor people and use that to make pass judgement about how low income people live their lives. Not only is it rude, you are directly leading to the shortage of affordable housing that people are talking about above

I can add my similar experiences (plural) on negative results when renting to low income household. The House was destroyed, literally ruined. Left uninhabitable.

People buying and renting houses aren’t contributing to a housing shortage.  That was created by the financial sector manipulating prices for their own benefit which led to a collapse of the system which in turn drove the builders to reduce production so they weren’t stuck with unsellable inventory. 

If you are crying about the cost, don’t try to live in a highly desirable tourist area adjacent to a world famous ski area.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I love how derailed this thread has gotten. From January 1st to June 30th is 26 weeks. From July 1st to December 29th is 26 weeks. They are 52 weeks/year.

I would love to further derail it by debating the fact that people’s poor judgement not investment banks that bought down housing market. I mean if only everyone paid their mortgage right? No? The banks should’ve lent out money to anyone so they sell derivatives? 

kyle.hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20
s.price wrote:

Airbnb is not ruining mountain towns for locals. Maybe wanna be locals but I have been local for 38 years and renting out my yurt short time hasn't hurt me.

Chipeta lodge in Ridgway is $200 a night. Sure you get a microwave and a bar on the premises. As small as Ridgway is I would take a house and walk down to the bars.

There is definitely a benefit to locals as well, such as in your case.  However, most mountain towns rely on tourism, and thus rely on people to work low paying service industry jobs who are increasingly being priced out of the rental market.  I don't think these people are wanna be locals.  I'd bet most established locals, maybe even yourself, started out this way.  

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 296
Lardtazium wrote:

Educate me guys. 

#1, how'd you even get into this investment property? Booked solid at 1k/week for 6 months is 180k revenue! 

Education indeed required.   

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 20
kyle.hornor wrote:

most mountain towns rely on tourism, and thus rely on people to work low paying service industry jobs who are increasingly being priced out of the rental market.

Jackson, WY has "solved" this problem: have the poor people camp in the National Forest behind the Elk Refuge.  The local gas stations make money from their commute, and the rich tourists don't have to look at them when they aren't in uniform.

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 600

Idle q for you airbnb folks: friend here in the east bay who hosts says she keeps roughly 60% after taxes and fees. I guess it depends on income bracket + etc, but does that sound +/- right to you all who do it? ie of that 24k you kept ~$14.4k, minus expenses for supplies etc?

Mike Mooney · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 0
Sirius wrote:

Idle q for you airbnb folks: friend here in the east bay who hosts says she keeps roughly 60% after taxes and fees. I guess it depends on income bracket + etc, but does that sound +/- right to you all who do it? ie of that 24k you kept ~$14.4k, minus expenses for supplies etc?

That’s if you do it legally 

and I’ll bet Ridgeway is short on regulation 

Grant Kleeves · · Ridgway, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 45

if you can't spell Ridgway how would you know it's short on regulation ;)?

Short term rentals here are a never ending topic and the source of a lot of controversy, the town has some significant regs in place to keep them in check, even though the larger threat to housing supply is second homeowners who live here a month a year..

take a quick look at Ridgway on air B&B, there's a tent renting at $159/night, most single rooms here in a house are going for around $100/Night.

as a plug for the OP, who in the interest of full disclosure is a friend of mine, this house is really nice, and a smoking deal when you actually shop comparables instead of just looking at the $1,000 price tag 

kyle.hornor wrote:

There is definitely a benefit to locals as well, such as in your case.  However, most mountain towns rely on tourism, and thus rely on people to work low paying service industry jobs who are increasingly being priced out of the rental market.  I don't think these people are wanna be locals.  I'd bet most established locals, maybe even yourself, started out this way.  

Mountain towns have always been expensive. They were expensive when I moved here in 1980 and they still are. The problem now is more people are wanting to live the mountain lifestyle without realizing how tough it is to do so. You can pay to visit or pay to live here. Either way it is not cheap or affordable to many.

We sacrificed for years to have what we do now. Worked our asses off. Lived in a couple of shitholes. Created our own affordable housing when we bought and lived in the yurt for 10 years. Most people who move to the mountains just are not willing to do so. They come here wanting to play as much as possible while expecting wages and cost of living to support that desire. That's just unrealistic. Living in the mountains has been about hard work and sacrifice forever. 

I was a wanna be local when I moved out here. I also accepted the fact that it was not going to be cheap or easy. That acceptance made it possible. It comes down to how bad do you want it. 

Affordable housing is a local government issue, not a short term rental one.

philippe wheelock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 15

Hey everyone.  Sorry for the confusion regarding my short term vacation rental.  Yes 1000$ a week.  Its small but sweet.  And while it was nice for people to pass judgement on me without having any clue let me clarify some things.  New construction, 2 car garage with apartment above.  Open passive solar design with a 400 sq ft deck, woodstove, gas heat, washer dryer, tv wifi, and a big fenced in yard.  Fully furnished and complete kitchen.  I am a single local climbing ranger who works seasonally at the Black Canyon.  My parents didn't give me a down payment or a Sprinter Van when I graduated college. I built this house myself on my weekends.  I cannot afford a mortgage on anything bigger so I built within my means.  I make a mediocre salary for a great job as a civil servant with no benefits.  I am volunteering the month of January at the Khumbu Climbing Center in order to teach the local sherpas climbing rescue techniques so they might be able to help the western clientele when they get into trouble on big expensive peaks like Everest.  I am paying 1600$ in airfare and another 1000$ in personal gear not counting my monthly bills.  This is all out of pocket.  I am simply trying to recover some costs by renting my place short term at a fair market value.  Yes, its expensive.  So are hotels, restaurants and ski tickets.  If you dont like the price then please dont call me.  If a warm cozy house with a great interior/exterior 2 blocks from Colorado Boy, 15 minutes from the Ice park and hot springs and 30 minutes from Red Mt pass interests you please give me a call.  571 429 0091.  As for Sean O, yeah no scams bro...don't bother calling.  Just an honest climber trying to make an honest living in an expensive part of the country.  

Lardtazium · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
s.price wrote:

Booked solid for 6 months at 1k per week is 24k.

I bought years ago when land and homes were cheap. That's how I got into it. 

bad math. Not sure how I ended up at 180. Think that's 1k/day. 

That's cool. I wonder where the next boom will be. Maybe idaho. Maybe I'll go buy a few acres in idaho. 

Lardtazium · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Chris C. wrote:

Education indeed required.   

shhh I was tired!   

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 296
Lardtazium wrote:

That's cool. I wonder where the next boom will be. 

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 20
philippe wheelock wrote:

As for Sean O, yeah no scams bro...don't bother calling.  Just an honest climber trying to make an honest living in an expensive part of the country. 

Props on finding something rich people are willing to pay for.  I'm just fine sleeping in the back of my car.

A-K · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Ha - I love how a simple housing rental ad derailed to a debate on the ethical and economic concerns of short-term vacation rentals. I'm sure OP came back pretty confused on this thread. 

I don't really go to that part of the state during the winter but it sounds like a great deal for $142/night. These are exactly the types of places I would book at if I were to go.

Best of luck with the Ice season and everest training. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "1 bedroom house in Ridgway for rent -January"
in the Colorado