Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

1 bedroom house in Ridgway for rent -January

Original Post
philippe wheelock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 15

I have a new1st/1ba house in Ridgway available for rent by the week or month of January. 

Perfect for 2 or more people with a queen bed and ample floor space.   Gas heat, Woodstove, kitchen...huge deck with killer views of the. cimmarons. 

Perfect for ice climber couples...

1000$ week 

Lardtazium · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

is that supposed to read 1000/month?

edit: ok that price is correct. So then are people supposed to rent this long term, like 1 yr, or for a few weeks as a vacation?

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Lardtazium wrote:

is that supposed to read 1000/month?

Welcome to ColoRADo 2018 brah

Alex Styp · · Golden, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 75

I'm really curious now whether it's 1000/week or month. Is Ridgway the new Aspen/Telluride??? 

Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

First it has to get cold enough for enough ice to form.For that kind of money I would go to Canada and stay in a luxury hotel. 1000 a week in Telluride will buy more than 1 bed 1 bath.

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 20

There ain't no ice -- too bad, so sad, dude.  How much are you losing on your "investment property" per week? :-D

s.price · · the deck of Rover or Pagosa… · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

Dial back the negativity y'all. True there is and may not be ice but the price is not out of line. I have a yurt on 5 acres and can get that all summer long as a short term. 

I do great on my investment property.

Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

1000 a week is out of line for Ridgway but as P.T Barnum said.....

Kevinmurray wrote:

1000 a week is out of line for Ridgway but as P.T Barnum said.....

All about perspective. If you make more than a thousand a day while slaving in the city a thousand a week for a house in the mountains to get away is cheap. Not everyone on MP lives paycheck to paycheck.

Lardtazium · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Ok I've been enlightened. 

Educate me guys. 

#1, how'd you even get into this investment property? Booked solid at 1k/week for 6 months is 180k revenue! You can buy a lot of chalk with that!

One guest stayed for two weeks and left me a thousand dollar tip 

How can I scam... er, "get in touch with" this person?  

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Lardtazium wrote:

Educate me guys. 

#1, how'd you even get into this investment property? Booked solid at 1k/week for 6 months is 180k revenue! You can buy a lot of chalk with that!

Look on realtor.com for what is for sale in the San Juans.  Nice stuff pops up in the Ouray area.  I kept toying with the idea of buying a place there when I lived in Tucson but the drive to get there would of been too far, I also had no idea that one could charge that much too.

kyle.hornor Hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20

While I can't blame anyone who has the means for getting into the short term vacation rental business, I think there needs to be more discussion about how it is affecting local communities.  

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/05/02/is-airbnb-ruining-mountain-towns-for-locals-32m-short-term-vacation-rental-net-for-3000-colorado-homeowner/

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

1000 a week is $142 a night.  I don't know the market at all, but that doesn't sound crazy if it's a nice place in a location people want to go. It's not rock bottom, but so...?

kyle.hornor wrote:

is-airbnb-ruining-mountain-towns-for-locals

Of course it is.  Unregulated hotels will trash the places until tourists will no longer pay.  

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I’m staying in a 1 bedroom + loft house at the base of Cathedral Ledge NH for $2400/17 nights. That’s about the same as what the OP is asking.

Airbnb is not ruining mountain towns for locals. Maybe wanna be locals but I have been local for 38 years and renting out my yurt short time hasn't hurt me.

Chipeta lodge in Ridgway is $200 a night. Sure you get a microwave and a bar on the premises. As small as Ridgway is I would take a house and walk down to the bars.

David Menzies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 5

The negative impact I've seen with the short term rental market is that, especially in mountain towns, property owners will convert their long term rental to a short term rental. This creates a housing shortage for low income residence. That being said, I wish I had a property to put on VRBO, cuz I would be making bank. 

I guess some locals are also surprised when there neighbor lists their 3 bedroom house as "it sleeps 15" and it's booked though the season. These are the black sheep of the industry. That being said, I use VRBO all the time!

David Menzies wrote:

The negative impact I've seen with the short term rental market is that, especially in mountain towns, property owners will convert their long term rental to a short term rental. This creates a housing shortage for low income residence. That being said, I wish I had a property to put on VRBO, cuz I would be making bank. 

I guess some locals are also surprised when there neighbor lists their 3 bedroom house as "it sleeps 15" and it's booked though the season. These are the black sheep of the industry. That being said, I use VRBO all the time!

Unfortunately renting long term to low income frequently results in trashed property. I know this from experience. The lure of quadrupled income and less maintenance is powerful.

Lardtazium wrote:

Educate me guys. 

Booked solid for 6 months at 1k per week is 24k.

I bought years ago when land and homes were cheap. That's how I got into it. 

Foster Conklin · · Norwood, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

You can't take your own, limited experience in renting long term to poor people and use that to make pass judgement about how low income people live their lives. Not only is it rude, you are directly leading to the shortage of affordable housing that people are talking about above

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "1 bedroom house in Ridgway for rent -January"
in the Colorado