Mountain Project Logo

Bozeman area Ice Partners

Original Post
Pat Fisch · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Living in Bozeman for the next few months for ice climbing. Just got back to the states from my first high altitude climb in Mexico and I’m stoked to learn how to climb technical ice. My goal is to become a proficient enough ice climber to tackle some routes in the Peruvian Andes next season. I have experience on rock but very little on ice. I have a rope, crampons and tools, but no ice screws. If you ever need a belay and have patience with a noob, I’m your guy! Hit me up at 815_342_7284

Jeremy Lubkin · · Worldwide Wanderer · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 5

I don't mind a little bit of noob patience. You know, give back and all.  I'll prob get to Boze on the 7th - maybe 8th if the skiing is good in Breck,  Have all gear. As long as you dont step on my rope. Hope to get more time on harder stuff but I'm sure we can get out a bit.  Jeremy 503-522-7313

Jillian Gold · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Pat and Jeremy! I'm posted up in Big Sky for the month, working as a medical student at the mountain clinic. I work a half day every day and would LOVE to do some ice climbing in my off time. Ousel falls is right around the corner from my house and it's only a half mile approach, so I'd love to hit that up if I can find a partner. I'm in a similar place as Pat -- I've done a lot of laps on vertical ice on top rope (and quickly fell in love) and I'm working up my experience to be able to lead. I have 6 ice screws, rope, draws, and lockers. I'm at 518-248-4224. Lots of experience with multipitch rock, super safe belayer and good with rope management. Holler if you guys are still looking for partners! 518-248-4224

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 88

Hey guys, PhD student in Bozeman. Also looking for partners. I have a full ice rack, but I'll only lead WI3 at this point. 608-370-4866. I am particularly excited to go nab climbs that require a long approach. I just got a touring setup and I'd love to use it for approaches.

andyedwards · · Jackson, WY · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 205

I'm free every Thurs-Sat, and hoping to get out climbing most weeks. I'm down in Jackson, but plan on making trips to Bozeman regularly. Hoping to meet some semi-regular partners to climb in Hyalite and other spots in the region. I've led some 3s in past years, but nothing yet this season. Down to follow, TR, and lead some chill stuff to start. Experienced in multi-pitch, good rope management, safe and attentive belayer.  I have a rack of screws, approach skis, and avy gear if needed. 612-802-4544

Andy -- I checked out Ousel falls this morning, the tougher stuff hasn't come in but the main flow is beautiful, thick, low angle ice and would be an ideal place to get practice leading. I think after the next cold front comes in it'll be good to go! (still has some running water underneath but it's been warm this weekend). Will be in touch! 518-248-4224

Some pics from Ousel on 12/11 -- will update again soon. The main falls look like a solid spot to mess around learning how to lead on low grade ice. The rest of the falls are tough and still thin/coming in, but given a good week of cold weather I bet they'll be great.

max huecksteadt · · Bozeman · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 115

Commenting on an old thread, but worth a shot- 

Trying to get out as much as possible now until the end of March. Leading WI3 at this point, will follow harder and mixed. Experienced, just not super confident as its been a weak season for me. Safe and competent belayer and climber. Shoot me a PM if any of you want to get out! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Bozeman area Ice Partners"
in the Wyoming, Montana, & Dakotas Partners