Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Where to go? JT or Red Rocks first week of Jan.

Original Post
Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20

I have some free time Jan 2-7 and I'm trying to figure out whether to go to JT or RR. 

Logistics is the issue. Mainly the campsite issue. I'm looking to go with a few friends. 4-6 people total.

-Even though it's still during a lot of people's Winter break, do you think it would be difficult to get a site if I went during the week? JT vs RR? Tips?

-weather. I know what to expect in JT typically. What about RR? Temps? Rain? I'm concerned about having to wait for the rock to dry out if it rains in RR since I only have 3 days.

Thanks in advance. 

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 92

Go to Potrero Chico.  Much better weather and airfare is pretty cheap.  Accomodations are as well.  Too cold for me to make a trip to either.  I live in Vegas so I can pick and choose days.

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 21

The nice thing about jtree is that you can always camp in the "backcountry" down boyscout trailhead if campsites are full. 

Just walk ~10 minutes and sleep off the trail, can't have a campfire but you get to sleep in the park. 

Other option for jtree is the BLM land outside the park, there is always space there. 

Mae Rae · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 15

And the nice thing about RR is you can always camp in a hotel.

Chad N · · Central California · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,842

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21849859?location=Joshua%20tree%2C%20Ca&tier_override=0&s=E13UY5ut

A reservable $25 campsite just outside the park at the Gordon Ranch. 

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

There's also BLM land near both Jtree and Red Rock.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Red rock usually has the same weather as Jtree. Since both campgrounds are walk in and they're only 2.5 hours apart, I'd just plan on going wherever it looks good for those days. 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Both Jtree and RR have annoying camping issues. I would say they are equally annoying. So I would use something else to determine your location.

RR temps: warm in the sun. cold in the shade. Rain is unlikely in either place. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311

OR.... go to New Jack City.....   

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Dave Kos wrote:

And the nice thing about RR is you can always camp in a hotel.

+1

Camping at RR is hideous.

Don B · · Gardena (South Bay) · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 20

Guy,

I was actually thinking of NJC also. 

Jordan Palamos · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

4-6 people is the right amount to rent a condo on airbnb around vegas. It'll be pretty cheap per person.

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Jordan Palamos wrote:

4-6 people is the right amount to rent a condo on airbnb around vegas. It'll be pretty cheap per person.

+1 RR campground is a flipping joke for what you pay. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

+1 RR campground is a flipping joke for what you pay. 

So true.....   all that desert-BLM land.... and not two square yards to lay down a sleeping bag. 

If one knows where to go you can camp....  but the places to do this are getting weeded out by the tools, one by one. 

The Hotels and the Unions call all of the shots in LV.......    

And to Don B. .... good luck where ever you go. One time I was on the road headed to LV on a friday nite... the traffic was so bad I said "screw this" about the time we made Barstow.... went to NJC.

I found out that nice camping, nice sport climbing with a good bunch folks who like climbing their and a town close by.... can make for a fine winter weekend. 

Have fun

Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 806

I second everyones opinion in getting a airbnb/hotel with that many people. You'll enjoy a better night sleep compared to the cold nights in the desert. Best part is the hot shower everynight after a full day of climbing.

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
Marc801 C wrote:

+1

Camping at RR is hideous.

Haha!  Jan, with 4-6 people you can easily split an Airbnb with plenty of beds for dirt cheap. Or sleeping pad and bag on the floor.  Comfortable place for $20-$30 per person per night. Or cheap hotel. Just think. Hot shower or hot tub! Ever evening. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Where to go? JT or Red Rocks first week of Jan. "
in the Southern California