Mountain Project Logo

Good winter dirtbagging areas?

Original Post
Sam Cannon · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2012 · Points: 924

Looking to live out of my car for the next year and weighing my options for good winter destinations to stay until spring. A good destination would include:

a) a place where I can sleep in my car (preferrably not a WalMart parking lot) without paying

b) a big enough town to have the possibility of picking up part time work (grocery stores, restaurants, whatever - my work experience is service industry)

c) good climbing (of course)

d) more good weather than bad (duh)

Some of the cities that immediately come to mind are Moab (probably hard to get a job but it hits everything else), St. George (I'm guessing the car camping wouldn't be great but hits everything else), somewhere outside Vegas (again, lack of car camping would suck), Bishop or some other eastern Sierra town (probably hard to get any kind of job in Bishop, I'm guessing, but I'd also guess it might be easier than Moab). Sedona AZ? Somewhere down by Cochise? 

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Jonathan Cunha · · Bolinas, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 65

J-Tree? Maybe try to hook up with some one who has a place you can park your car...

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 478

October to April is prime season for lots of North Carolina: Looking Glass (cracks and slabs), Whiteside (big), Laurel Knob (big), Shortoff (steep jugs), Hidden Valley (sport), Rumbling Bald (just about everything from world class bouldering to crack climbing), etc. Car camping is ridiculously easy both around Brevard and in the High Country toward Boone---I've never been anywhere else in the US where you can so easily find a nice spot (often near water) for free. I've seen folks set up tents right off Forest Service roads for weeks. You can find service work in Asheville, Boone, or a satellite town easily.

Sam Cannon · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2012 · Points: 924

Thanks Brian! Definitely hadn't put the east coast on my radar.

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 175

I feel like there's a dozen of these threads each winter. J Tree Bishop Red Rocks. There ya go.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,673

As for St. George, the road to Moe's is free to camp and I always see a few vans out there.  Honestly, there are plenty of places to car camp comfortably out there. I'll add J-tree and the high desert to the mix as well.  I don't know how you feel about cities, but san diego or orange county could be cool.  Lots of crags throughout that you can park nearby i'm sure. 

Mark Says · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395
Hobo Greg wrote:

I feel like there's a dozen of these threads each winter. J Tree Bishop Red Rocks. There ya go.

It's not like there's a search feature. Even if there was, what if J Tree wasn't in this year?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Good winter dirtbagging areas?"