Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Ice climbing gloves

Original Post
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Going to hyalite in 2 weeks. Have access to some new north face summit series g3 gloves in my size but someone with experience think these will do for climbing? I know digits will get cold no matter what and I have different gloves for belaying and all but for on the climb will these do or what have you guys worn and actually really appreciated? Not talking spring climbing either. Talkin hyalite in mid December... Thanks guys. 

Btw this is WI climbing incase hyalite didn't say enough

Seth Kane · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 111

Ive climbed in a lot of gloves, camp gekko hots, BD torques and showa best 282 atlas are my favorite. It really depends on what fits your hands though. A lot can change in two weeks, but hyalite is warm and wet right now. For current conditons Id reccomend swapping out a lot of thin softshell gloves.

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

I haven't been climbing in Hyalite for particularly long, but Hyalite in December hasn't felt that cold. I would agree with Seth. 

tatedunkel · · Bozeman, MT · Joined May 2013 · Points: 220

Are you coming for the festival

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

From what I can tell from TNF's website, the G3's would be the warmest/heaviest glove I would ever wear while on ice in Hyalite.  It's probably perfect for really cold days or as a belay/base of climb glove.  Also, if you are not leading or dealing with screws...it's perfect.  If you're leading, just try clipping and unclipping with it at home and decide if you can pull it off.  You may also want to make sure it fits well in/on your tools.  If it's warm while you're here, go to Home Depot and grab some Gorilla Grip gloves or Firm Grip gloves for $5-$15 and use those.  I find having 4 or 5 pairs of random gloves is a lot better than having one or two good pair. 

Yes coming for the festival. Trying to buy some tools at discount too so either backcountry w 2 day ship, buy from a local in bozeman, or shop REI in bozeman before I head up

Chiatt Hiatt wrote:

From what I can tell from TNF's website, the G3's would be the warmest/heaviest glove I would ever wear while on ice in Hyalite.  It's probably perfect for really cold days or as a belay/base of climb glove.  Also, if you are not leading or dealing with screws...it's perfect.  If you're leading, just try clipping and unclipping with it at home and decide if you can pull it off.  You may also want to make sure it fits well in/on your tools.  If it's warm while you're here, go to Home Depot and grab some Gorilla Grip gloves or Firm Grip gloves for $5-$15 and use those.  I find having 4 or 5 pairs of random gloves is a lot better than having one or two good pair. 

I've seen people mention grippy work gloves from home improvement stores. Ill go check them out

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Ice climbing gloves"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion