Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Recommendations


Original Post
CaseyElliott · · Salt Lake City · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 480

I am headed through Arizona and New mexico over the next month for work. What are the 5 star places for bouldering and sport climbing?! 

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Mt Lemmon in Tucson has a great assortment of sport routes, basically year round given the altitude options.

Hueco Tanks is in TX but a hop/skip/jump from NM, and has world class bouldering.

I’ve had a blast climbing in the Sandias outside of ABQ, but was focused on trad - not sure how much sport routes were available there but the setting is pristine.

-Hamish

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 20

Sandia is pretty much all trad, and butt-cold mid-winter.  White Rock (https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105788289/white-rock) is short enough to toprope, and warm enough to climb in December sometimes.  There are a few cool sport routes in Cochise Stronghold as well.

Arizona and New Mexico are big, and both are much higher-elevation up north than down south.  Your rock options will mostly be in the southern parts of both states.

Kevin D · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 160

The Homestead for limestone sport climbing

Nick Castillo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Socorro, NM has a lot of sport climbing from 5.7 to 5.13. Called the box canyon. Might be some trad out there. Down some dirt roads regular cars can do. We go frequently. You ever want to climb hit me up

Intagram:@nickavion

Owen S. · · Los Alamos · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,116
sean o wrote:

Arizona and New Mexico are big, and both are much higher-elevation up north than down south.  Your rock options will mostly be in the southern parts of both states.

Not true. Roy is the best bouldering area in NM/AZ, and one of the best destinations in the Southwest. It is located in northeast NM, but at 5500' is climbable through the winter. Season is Nov-April. Highly recommended, along with Hueco.

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
Nick Castillo wrote:

Socorro, NM has a lot of sport climbing from 5.7 to 5.13. Called the box canyon. Might be some trad out there. Down some dirt roads regular cars can do. We go frequently. You ever want to climb hit me up

Intagram:@nickavion

Got some nice pics on there Nick

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 20
Owen Summerscales wrote:

Not true. Roy is the best bouldering area in NM/AZ, and one of the best destinations in the Southwest. It is located in northeast NM, but at 5500' is climbable through the winter. Season is Nov-April. Highly recommended, along with Hueco.

My bad.  I'm from the state, and had not even heard of Roy (population 234 and declining?).  Maybe I should head out there for a weekend.

Owen S. · · Los Alamos · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,116
sean o wrote:

My bad.  I'm from the state, and had not even heard of Roy (population 234 and declining?).  Maybe I should head out there for a weekend.

It's been kept on the DL for a number of years so it's still under the radar. Excellent sandstone, makes Joes look like choss..

CaseyElliott · · Salt Lake City · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 480

Wow thanks everyone, that is super helpful. @nickavion I will definitely hit you up when I am in the area.

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
CaseyElliott wrote:

Wow thanks everyone, that is super helpful. @nickavion I will definitely hit you up when I am in the area.

Have fun!  Should have mentioned more on Mt Lemmon - it’s got 1300 sport routes on MP alone so is a pretty large climbing area.  Most crags are on a single winding road going from 3000-9000’ elevation so you pretty much keep driving up until the temps are right.  I found the grades to be slightly sandbagged but depending on where you’re coming from you may feel differently; regardless the climbing’s been great with some relatively short approaches.

Richard Heying · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 30

El rito is the place  for good sport in new mexico

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

El Rito?  In the winter?

Cole Cunningham · · Reno · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Not sure where you'll be in NM, but if you're near Carlsbad Last Chance Canyon is never crowded and actually has some pretty fun sport routes. I second Roy- extremely good climbing.

@colecunni on IG if you need a partner

Gray Vogel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0
the schmuck wrote:

El Rito?  In the winter?

Winter doesn't appear to be starting anytime soon. El Rito would be perfect and very comfortable in the sun. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climbing Recommendations "
in the Arizona & New Mexico

Log In to Reply